Q. What shall I do to improve my hemoglobin?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I have been suffering from bleeding hemorrhoids. My hemoglobin is very low at 5.6. I feel very weak and severe headache for two days. What to do? Please advice.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

Hemoglobin of 5.6 g% is really low. With this amount of hemoglobin, we put you into the group of severe anemia.

Due to low oxygenation, you could be having severe headaches. Painkiller like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol can be taken, however, hemoglobin improvement to 7 to 8 g% is necessary.

Improved nutrition with protein, iron and vitamin-rich diet is necessary along with Iron, vitamin B12 and Folic acid supplements. Along with it, adequate rest and possibly packed red cell transfusion will be necessary.

Anemia is very severe and any further fall could affect the heart and maybe result in heart failure. Concentrate on diet, medications and improving hemoglobin levels.

Until hemorrhoids are managed, weakness would not go. So, get your hemorrhoids managed at the earliest.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|