Q. What is the cause of repeated viral and ear infections who has dyslexia and anxiety?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

My daughter is 15-years-old and has always been prone to catching any bug virus, including suspected measles, and caught a virus that gave symptoms similar to Guillain-Barre. Growing up, she had repeated ear infections and had frequent bouts of impetigo and nose sores. She is often fatigued and struggles to sleep and then struggles to get up in the morning. She is active and eats a relatively balanced diet. She has not grown since she was 13-year-old. She started her periods when she was 14-year-old however they are intermittent and recently absent for four months.

Despite being active, she retains puppy fat around her face and tummy. She feels like she is fog and was diagnosed with dyslexia last year. She has very bad anxiety and a very low mood, plus she is feeling bad. She is currently taking Fenofexadine for hay fever. Blood tests were performed after exposure.

#

I have gone through your description and understand your concern that your daughter is suffering from multiple issues at this very young age. I am not sure if you evaluated this previously, but I strongly feel she has to be investigated to check if there are any abnormalities that are correctable for her better health. I assume her to have a low immunity level, by the way of the presentation you have put forth.

I suggest you check her sugar and thyroid levels and to see if she has any excess steroid levels in her body. I shall advise you on certain basic master health checkup investigations. Please go through these tests and get back to me with the reports. For now, I suggest a dose of sleeping and anti-anxiety combined tablet at a very low dose.

The rest we shall decide after medications. Take care. Regards.

Investigations to be done include complete blood count (CBC), urine routine, fasting blood sugar (FBS), postprandial blood sugar (PPBS),

renal function tests (RFT), liver function tests

(LFT), serum cortisol - fasting, free T3, T4, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) - fasting, electrolytes, and serum calcium.

A probable diagnosis is anxiety disorders.

The treatment plan suggested is Tablet Clonazepam 0.25 mg at bedtime daily for 14 days.

Preventive measures to be taken are to avoid mental stress.

Follow-up should be done with investigation reports.

Thank you for the reply.

I tried to upload some blood tests.

#

Please do upload the reports, if any, for reference. I do not see any report uploaded here.

|