Q. My 60-year-old brother has a low lymphocyte count a month post-COVID-19. Please help.

Dr. N Ashok Viswanath
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am asking this for my brother. He is 60 years old, diabetic, and has blood pressure. He recovered from COVID-19 a month back and has been pretty good. But two days before, he got some allergies and rashes and also had dysentery and fever. We went to the doctor, and they did a CBC test. The result showed RBC morphology- predominantly normocytic normochromic, WBC morphology- neutrophilic, leukocytosis noted, band forms noted, platelets adequate in number, parasites-no hemoparasites seen, TLC - 12,450, neutrophils - 11520 cells per cubic mm, lymphocytes - 504, platelets - 295,000. The doctor said it could be due to food poisoning, but I wanted to get another opinion. The lymphocyte count is low; is that a cause of worry? Should we do any other tests? Also, he took Medrol 4 mg for almost 12 days last month for COVID-19 (his COVID-19 was mild to moderate, and SpO2 did not go below 92%). Is this some infection? He does not have a fever since yesterday night. Please help.

#

I understand your query. The cell counts like WBC (white blood cell) counts take some time to come back to normal post-COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) illness, especially those who were on steroid medications like Medrol (Methylprednisolone). He also has diabetes, which adds up to the decrease in immune function temporarily. During this time, your brother will be prone to common infections like gastrointestinal infections associated with fever, often self-limiting. Do follow my advice.

1. Keep the blood sugar level controlled (with a glucometer, measure the blood glucose level after 12 hours of fasting and two hours postprandial).
  2. Reduce high-calorie food.
  3. Intake of Vitamin C helps improve immune function (I will suggest taking Limcee 500 mg chewable tablet once daily after breakfast for two weeks).
  4. He can drink boiled and cooled water (clean water, basically).
  5. Keep a note on good hygiene during food preparation.
  6. Strict hand hygiene is advised.
  7. He has to use a facemask while going out. When the immune function is less, even common microbes can cause infection.
  8. He has to use garlic, ginger, turmeric, and pepper in food. All these are known to improve immune function and decrease inflammation.
  9. He has to take Multivitamin daily afternoon after lunch for one month (capsule Nurokind Next).
  10. He has to continue his antidiabetic and antihypertensive medications.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

But he stopped Medrol almost 25 days back. Should we do more tests for this infection? He has been having a fever of 100 degree on and off for the last two days. Is low lymphocytes a cause of concern since it has been almost a month after COVID-19?

#

No need to worry. The fever will go off in a few days. Lymphocyte count will improve. Please follow my advice which I have mentioned previously. He will improve. Thanks.

|