Q. Is low monocyte level a contributing factor of AIDS?

Dr. Sushma Shah

I underwent a regular blood test recently. It shows my monocytes level is low which is 0.11 where the normal rate should be 0.2-1. I just googled what could be cause for the same. It says it could be because of viral infections including HIV/AIDS. I am worried now. I am scared to consult a doctor at the moment. Please advise.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Monocytes may increase or decrease, it hardly matters. One of the cause is viral disease. Not only HIV virus may cause this, but there are also many other viruses like cytomegala virus which can cause this.

Flu is also caused by virus. Nowadays, fever is also called as viral fever, which takes a prolonged time to recover. If you are suffering from a common cold, or sneezing it is also viral. Nowadays in any disease one of the causes is viral.

Monocytes are not so important except for in leukemia (blood cancer) which can be detected by peripheral blood film in which monocytes are highly increased. But in your case, the values are a little bit deranged. Have you noticed any symptoms?

In the case of HIV infection, various types of symptoms appears even joint pain, sore throat, ulcers in oral cavity, rashes, and itching are common.

Advise:-

Take a healthy homemade diet (both vegetarian and nonvegetarian).

Maintain proper oral hygiene of oral cavity and genitalia. Undergarments should be washed properly and soaked with Dettol or Savlon.

Add citrus fruits like lemon, orange, kiwi, and blueberry in your diet. It increases immunity and overall physical fitness.

Treatment:

Take anti-oxidant like Revital for male one at night with milk, and Seven seas cod liver oil pearls one at night. Both can be continued for a long time. They help in general body maintenance and blood picture.

| 

I have joint pain, and I assume it is because of the low vitamin D. Vitamin D is 13.9 in my case and < 30 is said to be deficiency. I have a recurring cold.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Arthritis is one of the symptoms caused due to low monocytes. For that, I advise RA test to exclude rheumatoid arthritis. If it is negative then the joint pain may be due to low monocytes or high uric acid.

Treatment:

For high uric acid take Zyloric (Allopurinao) tablet twice a day for 15 to 20 days after meals.

For arthritis, it is better to consult an orthopedic surgeon. He can suggest further classification and treatment.

| 

HIV 1 and 2 are nonreactive 28 days after exposure. Should I repeat it later?

Query: Hello doctor,HIV 1 and 2 are nonreactive in the tri-dot test after 28 days of exposure. Should I repeat the test again for confirmation?  Read Full »

Is Cetirizine ineffective in AIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, I had suffered from common cold symptoms three months back. It resolved completely in about 18 to 19 days. Started with constant sneezing followed by a runny nose, then nose cleared and sneezing stopped but felt an uneasiness in palate and throat turned sore, getting worse with time a...  Read Full »

Why are my WBC, RBC and monocytes low?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some red and purple dots on my stomach and hand. I have been sick for a long time and I lost my weight. My immune system is really bad. I had my blood test done and the result shows that the white blood cells are low at 3.9 and the red blood cells are 3.7. Also, my absolute monocyt...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now