Low Platelet

What to do for ITP in a 2.5 year old girl?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 2.5 years old. She is diagnosed with ITP last month. Initially, she had minor itching near armpits but now she is fine. She is eating well, and her weight is constantly 12.5 kg for the last one month. She had a little fever with cough and cold three days back, but now t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read her reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The latest report shows the normal platelet Count. So no need to worry regarding any bleeding. The total WBC (white blood corpuscles) count is high, but it could be due to an infection of the uppe...  Read Full »

Why am I having low platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had blood tests done. In the past, I have had clumping platelets, then low sitting at 135 then 114 now the last two are at 103. Is that bad?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The platelet clumps sometimes can give a false low count of platelet if CBC is done in automated cell counter only. So in such case, you need to investigate with platelet count by the manual method as well after peripheral smear preparation. So I suggest you investi...  Read Full »

Does my CBC history and family history of multiple myeloma indicate I am at risk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old male. I am attaching pictures of my seven year CBC history. Here is what happened this year. On my annual physical 11 months back, my WBC was low. Three months back, my GP checked it again. WBC came back in range but platelets were low. Over seven years, platelets ha...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CBC does not suggest multiple myeloma (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In the case of multiple myeloma, anemia can be there and clinical symptoms like a constant headache, kidney system related symptoms, etc., can be present. But as your father ...  Read Full »

Tests for dengue are negative, then why is the platelet count low?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is admitted to the hospital as his platelet count is 8000/cumm. The tests for dengue and NS1 are negative. After injection of 4 units of platelet, his platelet count is 12000/cumm. Then after administering 2 and 4 more units, the platelet count was 23000/cumm and 22000/cumm re...  Read Full »

Dr. Chelladurai Pandian Hariharan

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is definitely not normal. Even though dengue antigen is negative, the low platelet count gives suspicion of dengue. The line of management is on the right way. So do not worry. Once the platelet count crosses 25000, we can stop the platelet transfusion. Only freque...  Read Full »

Why does my brother get jaundice every year during summer?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has jaundice, and it is occurring every year during summer. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He is experiencing weakness and swelling on face and across his ankle. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every year. In addition to that, h...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have posted. He has the following problems: Low platelet count of 40,000. Iron-deficiency anemia. Hepatospleenomegaly. Raised serum bilirubin and mild elevation of...  Read Full »

My platelets count is decreasing. And I am having fever from last 6 days with continuous headache.

Query: Hi Doctor, I am having fever since last 6 days with continuous headache. I am taking Paracetamol on regular intervals, but my fever temperature is not decreasing from 100 degree, sometimes it reaches to 103 degree as well. Because of the fever my appetite is also reducing day by day. I got it checke...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Platelet count decreases in many other infections also, not only in dengue. If your fever temperature is not getting down with Paracetamol, then it means you had taken a very low dosage and many times it is not able to lower the temperature. You can take tablet Diclomol t...  Read Full »

What to do next if one is tested positive for dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, A relative of mine is admitted to a local hospital and tested positive for dengue. His platelet count was checked thrice. The first time they checked it was yesterday afternoon, and the count was 83,000. The second time they tested him yesterday evening and the count was 81,000. The th...  Read Full »

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Internal Medicine Physician, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with body ache is one of the typical symptoms of dengue fever. There is absolutely no need to worry as long as the platelet count is more than 20,000/cmm. Only if this threshold is crossed, there is a risk of bleeding. Even in such situations, there is an optio...  Read Full »

What foods can help cure gestational thrombocytopenia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from gestational thrombocytopenia. I have been trying to eat foods to help raise my count. However, there is so much conflicting information about what foods actually raise or decrease counts that I am really confused. I am wondering if food can help. If yes, I would lik...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gestational thrombocytopenia is a diagnosis of exclusion. This means all other causes for thrombocytopenia should be ruled out especially the medical history should be taken regarding ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura). If the ITP history is positive then ITP s...  Read Full »

Why has platelet count gone down after CABG?

Query: Hi doctor, My father underwent CABG before six months. Till then he was on Clopilet alone. His platelet would remain 150000. After CABG, he has been put on Ecosprin and after that his platelets remain 110000 to 140000. Is that fine? He has no other complaints. Is there something we can do to improve...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on our query, my opinion is as follows: Platelet count at any time above 1 lakh is always good. The minimum platelet count, most of us expect is 50000, below which mild risk of bleeding starts. Hence, 1.1 to 1.4 lakhs is indeed good and not to be worried about. All...  Read Full »

Why am I having fever with chill and decreased platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a fever with a chill. So, got my CBC done in which hemoglobin is 14.5. TIC is 6800,neutrophil is 65, lymphocyte is 29, monocyte is 0, RBC count is 4.67, hematocrit is 46.8, MCV is 100.2, MCH is 31.0, MCHC is 31.9, and platelets count are 113.0. Malaria test is negative. Two year...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. CBC seems to be good except for a mild decrease in platelet count. You need to do a dengue serology again but as of now there is nothing to worry about. Please let me know since when you are having the fever.  Read Full »