Low Platelet

Is low platelet count a symptom of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has nagging dry cough for about one month. Our physician has doubted it as allergic bronchitis and the x-ray also justifies the same. As per today, his platelet count is 125000. Is there anything to worry? Or is this a sign of dengue? Myself and my brother have just recovered f...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For dengue, the first and the foremost thing to be present is fever. Dengue is not diagnosed only on the basis of platelet count. Also, mild thrombocytopenia (low platelet) is common in older adults. All you have to check is the trend of platelet count ...  Read Full »

Will low platelet count cause tiredness, weight reduction, fever, and headache?

Query: Hello doctor, My blood report show: Low platelet count (150). TSH - 0.03. Occasionally teardrop cell present and pencil cell seen. I am feeling feverish, tired, reduced weight, and headache all the time. I have thyroid for the last eight to nine years and I am currently taking Thyronorm 100...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern and following is my opinion for your asked question. In the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) hemoglobin level is low and eosinophils are raised. Low hemoglobin along with low PCV (pack cell volume) suggestive of ...  Read Full »

Please give your suggestion on my blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my blood report here for your reference. Please have a look and give me your suggestion.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like you have iron deficiency anemia or a hemolytic process going and also you have low platelets. For iron deficiency anemia, I would suggest getting an iron profile, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), hemoglobin and electrophoresis. I suggest 325 mg of Iron three...  Read Full »

Why did my platelet count fall after a week of fever?

Query: Hello, I am writing to ask about some symptoms I have been experiencing. I am 57 years old. For almost a week I havehad persistent low grade fever (never more than 100.5). After the end of the week, today I no longer has a fever. We did a blood test and found abnormally low amount of platelets: ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Keeping into the current circumstances , your fear is completely justified. Good thing is your fever has subsided Excellent is not having any Upper respiratory tract symptoms during the febrile episode Now coming to low platelet count medically known as Thrombocytopenia , your count that ...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment plan for platelet disorder.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from platelet disorder from the last one month. She had nearly about 58 units of platelet transfusion, but still her platelet count is not up to the mark. What to do further?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Platelet count needs to be maintained around 200000, if there is no bleeding. As I am not sure about the platelet count and the cause of your mother, if this is maintained then it is adequate. Multiple platelet transfusions c...  Read Full »

What to do for ITP in a 2.5 year old girl?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 2.5 years old. She is diagnosed with ITP last month. Initially, she had minor itching near armpits but now she is fine. She is eating well, and her weight is constantly 12.5 kg for the last one month. She had a little fever with cough and cold three days back, but now t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read her reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The latest report shows the normal platelet Count. So no need to worry regarding any bleeding. The total WBC (white blood corpuscles) count is high, but it could be due to an infection of the uppe...  Read Full »

Why am I having low platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had blood tests done. In the past, I have had clumping platelets, then low sitting at 135 then 114 now the last two are at 103. Is that bad?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The platelet clumps sometimes can give a false low count of platelet if CBC is done in automated cell counter only. So in such case, you need to investigate with platelet count by the manual method as well after peripheral smear preparation. So I suggest you investi...  Read Full »

Does my CBC history and family history of multiple myeloma indicate I am at risk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old male. I am attaching pictures of my seven year CBC history. Here is what happened this year. On my annual physical 11 months back, my WBC was low. Three months back, my GP checked it again. WBC came back in range but platelets were low. Over seven years, platelets ha...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CBC does not suggest multiple myeloma (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In the case of multiple myeloma, anemia can be there and clinical symptoms like a constant headache, kidney system related symptoms, etc., can be present. But as your father ...  Read Full »

Tests for dengue are negative, then why is the platelet count low?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is admitted to the hospital as his platelet count is 8000/cumm. The tests for dengue and NS1 are negative. After injection of 4 units of platelet, his platelet count is 12000/cumm. Then after administering 2 and 4 more units, the platelet count was 23000/cumm and 22000/cumm re...  Read Full »

Dr. Chelladurai Pandian Hariharan

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is definitely not normal. Even though dengue antigen is negative, the low platelet count gives suspicion of dengue. The line of management is on the right way. So do not worry. Once the platelet count crosses 25000, we can stop the platelet transfusion. Only freque...  Read Full »

Why does my brother get jaundice every year during summer?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has jaundice, and it is occurring every year during summer. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He is experiencing weakness and swelling on face and across his ankle. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every year. In addition to that, h...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have posted. He has the following problems: Low platelet count of 40,000. Iron-deficiency anemia. Hepatospleenomegaly. Raised serum bilirubin and mild elevation of...  Read Full »