Q. What are the methods available to cure cough and fever associated with low platelet count?

Dr. Albana Greca
Published on Feb 14, 2019

I am 27 years old, male. My problem started five months back. Due to viral fever, my platelets count is low. The report is attached. This time I took antibiotics. Then my digestion system got poor. After some days I started suffering from cold and cough and fever. This time I am not feeling well.

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

To me, the changes are due to viral infection you have been experiencing all this while. Now, we should not rely on the complete blood count report only. Sometimes, there is a destruction of platelets due to chemicals inside the sample carrier. I think you should repeat complete blood count and run a microscopical examination of the blood sample to count the actual number of thrombocytes (platelets) for better evaluation.

I have attached the laboratory reports.

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Thank you for providing the laboratory tests. I have gone through them and reviewed carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Following is my answer:

1. Lipase is a bit higher than normal, related to the previous infection you have already passed.

2. TSH is higher than normal, should check further with an endocrinologist. Why? Perhaps you might need CT-scan of the head.

3. Blood count shows only a few changes due to the previous infection, plus low platelets counts. You already tested iron levels, which are normal. While I was looking for vitamin B12, it was not tested together with folate.

Anyway, from what I can see, you should consult with an endocrinologist, because, to me, low platelet count is related to high TSH, so should get further tests for thyroid problems.

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After having a viral infection, lymphocytosis can persist for seven to ten days. Your low neutrophils are relative, and it is because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high because of inflammation or by iron deficiency anemia as a reactive thrombocytosis. Urinar...  Read Full

I have fever, red rashes, and low platelet count. Is it dengue fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who weighs 24 kg and 5.3 feet tall. I have had a fever since last week. The fever was between 38 to 40o C. I also had headaches and lower back pain. Today I got tested for dengue, but that was negative. However, on my torso, neck, and face, there are these red r...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be dengue or any other viral infection. The presentation of all viral fevers is almost same. And any viral infection can cause low platelets count, and dengue is known for it. During the first 4 to 5 days of fever, dengue NS1 antigen will be positive,...  Read Full

What is the cause for low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, God blessed me with a baby boy before three months. This is my second child. I faced many problems such as diabetes, before two years back. I had low platelet counts before six months when I took a test for CBC. Three days before delivery, my platelet count was 44000 per microliter of bl...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with a headache can occur in viral infection. Viral infection can affect the platelet count and can lead to low platelet count. Symptomatic management is done with Paracetamol and maintain your hydration. Your peripheral smear examination, a liver profile is a...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now