Q. What could be the most probable reason for my low platelet count?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

My platelets counts have been low for nine months now. Sometimes it increases but again becomes low. I am feeling weakness and dizziness. I am eating kiwi, pomegranate, and other fruits to get the level up, but nothing seems to be working. The primary care that the doctor suggested is to see a hematologist.

What could be the reason and how to treat it? Please advise.

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out. There can be many causes of low platelet count. It would be best if you get a detailed evaluation for the same. Increased spleen size can cause low platelet; you need an ultrasound to find this cause. Apart from this, certain drugs can cause low platelet. If you are on some medications, kindly share the same. ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura), an autoimmune disease, can also lead to low platelet count. It is confirmed by bone marrow aspiration and biopsy.

But let me assure you, whatever be the cause, it is very well treatable. You can visit a general physician to find out the cause of the low platelet count.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|