Q. Why does my platelet count decrease consistently?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I just wanted to ask a question. My platelets count is consistently low when examined. What is the cause for the decrease in platelet count? I am not sure what are the tests checked? I am taking tablet Zoloft.

#

According to the history, you are having low platelet count. The various causes are dengue, malaria, hemolytic anemia, ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura), hypersplenism, a viral infection like hepatitis, EBV (Epstein Barr virus), HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). So, according to your history and physical examination, the required test can be done. For example, for dengue, you can test IgM ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). Peripheral smear examination report is advisable to detect any abnormal cells present.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|