Q. I feel feverish and tired with low platelets and hemoglobin. Please comment on my blood report.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2020

My blood report show:

Low platelet count (150).

TSH - 0.03.

Occasionally teardrop cell present and pencil cell seen.

I am feeling feverish, tired, reduced weight, and headache all the time. I have thyroid for the last eight to nine years and I am currently taking Thyronorm 100 mg. I consulted a general physician she asked me to take an opinion from a hematologist. Please assist.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have read your concern and following is my opinion for your asked question. In the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) hemoglobin level is low and eosinophils are raised. Low hemoglobin along with low PCV (pack cell volume) suggestive of anemia.

For anemia following investigations are suggested.

1. Serum iron.

2. Serum ferritin.

3. Serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity).

4. Serum B12 level.

Treatment of anemia given according to the cause of anemia. Revert back with the above reports once done.

Your eosinophils are high. So it could be due to either parasite infestation, or allergic upper respiratory tract infection, or asthma or some skin disease. If any of the above allergy history present then mention it.

For high eosinophils, you can be prescribed Montelukast tablet for 7-10 days. Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is within range in one report. It should be maintained between 2-5 by regularly taking thyroid medication. So you can continue Thyronorm for your hypothyroidism.

You can visit a nearby physician or Hematologist and discuss all these.

| 

Yes, I do have an allergic upper respiratory tract infection for the past few years. Do I need to take some supplements to treat anemia at the moment? I hope my blood reports are not indicating something serious.

Hematology Pathology
#

In the attached CBC and peripheral smear report, abnormal cells are not present (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So no need to worry just now.

For anemia, ferrous ascorbate can be started which should be taken with orange juice. But before starting iron supplement, I suggest you investigate as above with stool examination report as well. Revert back with all those reports once done. After submitting a sample for the above report, an iron tablet can be started.

For allergic inflammation, you can consult a pulmonologist or allergic specialist for allergy testing to find a causative allergen. You can take Montelukast can be given for 7 to 10 days. Send me repeat CBC after your iron supplement is finished for 1-2 months.

| 
Hello Dr,

Please find my latest blood report including serum Iron study

I started below suppliments with lemon juice from today

Ferium XT - 1 tab
Theocal-D3 - once in week

Regards
Sumank
9871844171

Hematology Pathology
# Hi,

Welcome to the icliniq

I can understand your concern.

It's good that you had done mentioned investigation.

So your all iron parameter especially serum iron, ferritin low and TIBC high.

So Your report suggestive of iron deficiency anemia.

You can start ferium Xt tablet that contain ferrous ascorbate.

Iron tablet cause constipation and black stool.

If you feel constipation more than drink lots of water and take more fiber foods to prevent constipation.

Take iron tablet with orange juice to increase iron absorption.

You need to take iron tablet at least for 2 month.

Your cholesterol is high. For that take low fat diet and do regular exercise.

If still after two month Cholesterol high than we will start medicine to lower lipid level as well.

After two months you can stop iron medication.

Take iron rich foods as well.

Hope I have solved your concern.

Let me know if you have more question in mind.

Regards

| 
Thanks for the reply Dr, I will follow your advise.

My major concern is severe headache through out the day. My head is very heavy and paining very badly. I am not sure if this is because of iron deficiency only. can i take some tablet to get relief ? Or Taking Iron supplements would improve this situation in time.

Regards,
Suman K

Hematology Pathology
# Hi,

Welcome back

I can understand your concern.

Following is my opinion for your asked question.

In iron deficiency anemia low oxygen rich to different tissue especially to brain as well.

So headache could be because of iron deficiency anemia.

You can start iron tablet. With correction of iron deficiency, headache will be relieved.

If within one week your headache not resolved than revert back to me and will discuss further for headache.

Hope I have answered your asked question
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards

|