Low Protein Diet

Please suggest a diet plan to gain weight for a Crohn's disease patient with kidney problems.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 22-year-old male. My height is 5 feet 10 inches, and my weight is 55 kg. I want to gain weight and need a diet plan or chart for the same. My target weight is 75 kg. However, I would like to bring my health to your attention, which would be of use while you plan a diet chart for me....  Read Full »

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for posting your query. Sorry to hear about your suffering. I can plan a diet keeping few things in mind. 1. Avoid raw vegetables, eat small frequent meals and avoid excess spicy and oily food. Use steamed food. 2. Early morning, one cup of yogurt with one t...  Read Full »

Should an FSGS patient consume more protein to increase blood albumin levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male with a weight of 90 kilograms. I am diagnosed with FSGS. Currently, I am taking Prednisolone 40 mg daily. Still, I have proteinuria. As I am losing more protein in my urine, do I need to eat more protein to increase my blood albumin levels? I can understand that edema occur...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Taking increased protein increases the risk of developing edema. Your kidney is unable to take more protein and if you add more of it, it will end up losing more proteins. So it is better to take a moderate type of diet. You should take a balanced diet. You should n...  Read Full »

Will high protein intake cause high levels of creatinine and BUN?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52-year-old male. My recent labs show elevated levels of BUN and creatinine. I have hypertension and it is controlled by medication. I am a weight trainer and boxer. I have followed a high protein diet over the years. My lab repot shows: eGFR - 71. BUN - 27. Creatinine - 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know which medicines you take for hypertension? I would like to know, whether you have done any urine examination? Rest eGFR (glomerular filtration rate) of 71 is within normal range for you, if urine examination is normal. I would advise you to decr...  Read Full »

If I had stage 3 CKD, would the urine levels be indicative of disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 62-year-old very fit male. I lift weights three times a week and use the stair master for 30 minutes five times a week vigorously. I have had this same routine for the past 20 years. I am 5'7" and weigh 160 pounds. My serum creatinine was 1.33 16 years back, and for the past 16...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), see basically beyond 40 years of age, there is 1ml/min/1.73 m2 decline in eGFR per year, and that is a normal physiological response because of an increase in age, same as skin wrinkles, si...  Read Full »

How to prevent FSGS from developing into kidney failure?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with FSGS through kidney biopsy. What is the best thing to do regarding my diet? And also, how to prevent this from developing into a kidney failure?  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Varma

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In FSGS (focal segmental glomerulosclerosis) as with most of the kidney diseases with protein leak, it is beneficial to restrict protein in the diet, especially animal protein. Salt restriction and restriction of oil and fatty foods are also recommended. Proper medicat...  Read Full »