Q. Could medications used to treat drug-induced psychosis reduce the sex drive and mood?

Currently, I am not able to feel excitement, pleasure, or joy. Also, my sex drive is low, and I find it hard to get aroused. I have experienced two drug-induced psychosis. The medication I am currently on is Effexor 225 mg and Zyprexa 2.5 mg. Previously I was on Lexapro 40 mg, and I felt good; then, I stopped and changed back to Effexor 225 mg as in the past it helped, and when I added Zyprexa 2.5 mg, I felt great and had a sex drive, but it is not helping this time. What medication could I use to lift my mood? I exercise, meditate, and see a psychologist. I feel this is purely a chemical or a physical issue.

#

Effexor (Venlafaxine) at 225 mg dose can cause a reduction in sex drive. But this dose is necessary for you to control depression symptoms. Your mood is persistently low despite adequate doses, so either one or more antidepressants should be added, or the dose of Effexor should be increased. If we increase the dose, then that might affect your libido too. Low libido, in your case, could be attributed to either persistent depression or could be due to the side effect of Effexor. But we cannot take that risk. Drugs that have either no or positive effects on libido can be used in your case. One option is to add drugs like Bupropion to your prescription. The drug will not only supplement antidepressants but will result in improvement of libido too. You can talk with your doctor about that. The addition of this drug will make your symptoms better. This should improve the sex drive too. Another option is the addition of Vilazodone. Please talk with your doctor about these drugs. This should help. Drugs like Sildenafil or Tadalafil can be used on an SOS basis to improve the sex drive and erection till your depression comes under control.

|