Q. Will I get my sex drive back if I quit masturbation?

Dr. Prashanth
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 03, 2020

I am a 27 year old male. I have been masturbating while watching porn for a year now. Now I am experiencing erectile dysfunction. Also, the stiffness of the penis is not the same as before (maybe because I am not getting aroused as easily as before) but after stroking, I feel the stiffness is fine. I have decided to quit porn and masturbation since yesterday. But still, I feel the same. I even tried to observe if the 'morning erection' is fine because of which I could not sleep properly. I was checking whenever I woke up in the middle of the night and I found that I was having no erection. I did have one while getting up and it was not the same as before (not as stiff as before). I am now scared. Do I have any disease? Will this thing get cured on its own? If yes, how long is it going to take? Please help.

Edit: I am feeling a bit better now. The stiffness and the erection are back. The only problem I am facing now is a low sex drive. I think I am not getting aroused that easily. I am not having the mood. Is it because of the stress that I am going through or because of watching porn and masturbating all this while? Do I have erectile dysfunction or is it due to stress? I am scared.

Please note, I have faced a similar issue before when I was taking anti-depressants.

#

I understand your concern and the confusion in your mind. In the edit, you have mentioned that your erection is back and that is good to know and the current concern as you have mentioned is sex drive.

My explanation to you is as follows:

Watching porn and masturbation is done by more than 90 percent of the people of your age group and it is not an unhealthy behavior. So, do not worry or force yourself to quit masturbation as it is one way of letting out your inner sexual drive.

If you keep watching porn in excess, the arousal for the same stimulus would reduce which is very likely in your case. So, watch porn whenever you are getting sexual thoughts and once you are done with masturbation, divert your mind to something else which is more useful for you. Once you limit yourself from watching porn at the right time and not in excess, it is more likely that you will be able to appreciate a satisfactory sex drive.

Mood disorders and medication like antidepressants do affect sex drive in an individual. So, if you are facing any mood problems, then you should get evaluated for the same. Stress does affect sex drive and erection, but you have not elaborated on the stress you are undergoing.

Lastly, since you have mentioned erection and stiffness are back and the concern is sex drive mainly, I would suggest you give a break to watching porn for a few days and check yourself for the sex drive in you. If sexual problems continue after following the above, you can revert with more details. Regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

The morning erection I got today was not as strong as before. Even if the erection and stiffness are alright it did not last long. Is this happening because I am thinking too much about it? I feel the same low sex drive, fatigue, and low energy. Could you please elaborate this condition? I am too scared now because I have read somewhere that if morning wood is not fine then you have a physical disability or something. Is this right? Is this impotence? Please suggest a medicine.

#

It is because of the anxiety which is making you worry and when you are so anxious about it, definitely your erection would not be normal. That is why I suggested you take a break from watching porn and masturbation.

The following points need clarity from your description as I have mentioned earlier too:

Your mood. If you are again having depression as earlier for which you had been on antidepressants, then it needs treatment accordingly after evaluation. So, if you feel the symptoms of depression like the earlier episode, get back for complete evaluation. I suggest taking tablet Clonotril (Clonazepam) 0.25 mg twice a day after food for a week. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Do not worry too much about the morning wood now. Just observe over a longer period of time and still if the morning wood is not proper then it should cause concern. In your case, you are having morning wood but the strength is weak and that is most probably because of you being too worried about it.

So, take a break from this. Take medicines for a week and by then if there is no mood disorder, you are more likely to appreciate good morning wood. The medicine will reduce your anxiety and I advise you to try concentrating on other things than your erection.

After having the medicine, I am feeling good. I am having no problem with my morning-wood now. The only concern I am having is low sex-drive. After taking a break from masturbating and watching porn, I did have a sex-drive but not satisfactory. I started to masturbate and watch porn after four days. Initially, even a single thought was sufficient to give me an erection. I am still getting an erection but sometimes it is a bit late or weak but often times it is satisfactory (hard/ stiff). Actually, I would say erection is alright but as sometimes it is a bit weak or late it makes me nervous. Sometimes when I have sexual thoughts or urges, I get a good erection, but sometimes I do not get an erection. Only after stroking it, I get an erection. I am getting no issues in ejaculating or masturbating. Why is this happening? Why am I not getting aroused quickly as I used to before? I am also depressed these days due to studies and other problems. Am I having some kind of problem? Is this problem somehow related to impotence? Please help.

#

The present concern is low sex drive. I suggest you the following: There will be variations in the sex drive and erections in each and every individual just like the weather. So, do not get fixed on to how hard and how quick your sex drive is/ was. It will vary from individual to individual and from time to time in the same person. The baseline is whether you are aroused or not and do you get enough erection or not.

According to your description, there is a variation but not too much to be worried about. The variation depends on the state of your mind. As you have mentioned that you are depressed, it may be the reason for the variation in your sex drive and erection.

I suggest you get evaluated completely either online or face to face, to rule out depression and other causes and be treated accordingly. Regards.

|