HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologylow sperm countI have been trying to have a child for the past few years, and have low sperm count. Please help.

Which supplements would help increase sperm count in a male?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 22, 2023
Reviewed AtSeptember 6, 2023

Patient's Query

I have been trying to have a child for the past two years and six months. My wife has done all the necessary check-ups, and now we discovered that the problem is actually in my body. Our gynecologist suggested insemination, but she said the sperm count was not enough for insemination, so we were asked to wait until the sperm got back to normal. I take Vitamin C 1000 mg daily. But I would like to know if there are supplements that you could recommend to help improve my sperm count. Please help.

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

To improve your fertility, you should take more fruits and vegetables, reduce smoking and alcohol, stay away from heat and chemicals, and do not use the laptop on your lap. If you do, then put it on a cushion on your lap. Also, if you are obese, you should reduce weight but do not take any formula. You must do blood tests, post-prandial blood sugar, T4 (thyroxine), TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), testosterone, and estradiol. If there is any abnormal report, then it will need correction. Apart from vitamin C, you can also take Folic acid 5 mg, vitamin E 400 IU, and vitamin B complex with zinc. Consult your specialist doctor, talk with them, and take medications with their consent.

I hope this information will help you.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

I currently do not smoke, and I quit drinking last year. My testosterone is normal from my previous test, and my blood sugar is also fine. I am currently having weight of 143 pounds. I will purchase the prescribed vitamins. Also, how long should I take those vitamins?

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

You can take up to six months.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

I would like to know if the above vitamins could be in excess in my body. If I get zinc from my food, and if I take the supplements, will that lead to excess? Is there a side effect of having too much of these vitamins?

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

The standard preparations of vitamins are made considering that a person is getting some amount from food. And the amount is much below toxic levels. Vitamin E is fat soluble, so that it can accumulate in some individuals' bodies. If you are concerned, you can take three months. Rest are water soluble and do not accumulate in the body.

I hope this information will help.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

Do I need to buy a vitamin B complex and zinc separately? Or should I look for vitamin B that has zinc as an ingredient?

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

It is better to take vitamin B complex and zinc separately.

I hope this information will help.

Patient's Query

I have attached my previous testosterone report for your review.

Thanks.

I understand your concern.

Your testosterone is on the higher side. It may occur due to supplements, particularly herbal ones. The vitamins suggested by me will not increase testosterone levels.

I hope this information will help.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

vitamin clow sperm count

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy