Q. Had a hit on my testicles. Is that the reason for low testosterone?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 18, 2020

Two months ago, I had a hit on my testicles. For first one week, I suffered with pain in the testes during erection. My erection improved after two weeks. But, in general, my erection is slightly weak. I have had a scan done and the doctor said that I have a swollen blood vessel. But, he does not think that it has been caused by trauma. My blood test results have had a low reading of testosterone. Please help.

#

Please relax and do not worry.

• I think you are suffering from varicocele, dilated veins of testis. This will not be caused by trauma.
  • A long term untreated varicocele can cause changes in your sperm parameters such as sperm count, motility, etc.
  • Your weak erection problem might be related to your low testosterone levels and again testicular trauma does not usually cause low testosterone unless it is very severe.
  • Testosterone levels also depend on the time of day when your blood sample was taken.
  • I think you should repeat your testosterone levels at morning by around 8 AM and along with this get serum FSH and LH levels (follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone). Also, get a semen examination after three days of abstinence from ejaculation.
  • If you had sonography of your testes earlier, then I need that report to know the severity of testes vein dilatation.

1. Serum testosterone levels
2. Serum FSH and LH levels at morning 8 AM
3. Semen examination after three days of abstinence from ejaculation.
4. Sonography of scrotum with color Doppler.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Should I undergo varicocelectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I have no BP, diabetes or thyroid problems. Last month, I was diagnosed with grade 1 varicocele. I consulted my home town doctor for treatments, and he prescribed few medicines. However, he did not say anything to my queries. Is my testicles size normal? I am...  Read Full »

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full »

I cannot understand my semen analysis report. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor,The semen analysis report is in my hand, but I cannot understand it.Liquefaction time- 30 minutes.Duration of abstinence- four days.Appearance- creamy white.Volume 4.0 ml.Ph 8Fructose- Present.Motility- 100.Spermatozoa- rapid 20%, slow 10%, non-progressive motility 5%, immotile 83%.Vita...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»