Low Wbc Count

Is bone marrow transplantation the right choice of treatment for anemia and leukopenia?

Query: Hello doctor, My uncle’s child has some blood-related problems as his hemoglobin is only 5 points. He was admitted to the hospital and did his bone marrow biopsy. The report is not good. His RBC has severe anemia microcytic type, and WBC has leucopenia, and platelets have thrombocytopenia. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just went through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have provided. I could only find one report of peripheral blood smear. Based on the history provided and CBC (complete blood count), there is a possibility of Aplastic anemia. The tr...  Read Full »

Can vigorous exercise result in low WBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had my complete blood test and said my WBC is low at 3.6, just below the reference range of 3.8. However all the other values of the WBC were in normal range. The RBC showed normal ranges too. Could this be due to increased exercise intensity everyday for the last two month...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read all three reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The total WBC (white blood cells) count is low only in the latest attached report. There are many causes for low WBC count, including viral infection to blood cancer. Your main...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment plan based on my father's blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to get a consultation regarding my father. His blood report showed hemoglobin (optical/impedance) 12.4 g%, platelet count (optical/impedance) 93 10^3/cubic mm, WBC count (optical/impedance) 3.6 10^3/cubic mm, packed cell volume (calculated) 36%, serum vitamin B 12 472 ng/L. P...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows. There are mild anemia, low white blood cell count and low platelet count. All counts are considered adequate clinically, as they are near normal. It could be early features of megaloblastic anemia. As vitamin B12 levels are...  Read Full »

Can you please confirm my friend's diagnosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One thing for sure is that he is having periodic hemolysis with adequate bone marrow response and he has a severe vitamin B12 deficiency. His corrected RPI (reticulocyte production index) is 2.7%, which means that his bone marrow is responding to the anemia appropriat...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to improve WBC count after chemotherapy.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I am suffering from acute lymphoblastic lymphoma and I am going to finish my last chemotherapy. My WBC count has reduced due to discontinuation of GCSF. After the completion of chemotherapy session, how to recover WBC count? Please suggest me.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. GCSF (granulocyte-colony stimulating factor) is given for immediate recovery followed by chemotherapy as chemotherapy causes excessive suppression of the bone marrow. The body has its own mechanism to produce GCSF and it will take usually a few weeks to start producing an...  Read Full »

Do low WBC count of 3.6 occur only in the condition of cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am inquiring about a concern I have about my CBC results. I have shown a WBC of 3.9 for almost two years, and recently had a followup CBC and it showed 3.6. I have felt like I have been fighting off a head cold and particularly stressed with the current virus situation. Do you thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I wish you very safe health during this Covid-19 crisis. Coming to your question, I reviewed your records. And I am glad that you came up with your concerns. I will be happy to answer that based on my experience. One thing which I can say confidently is...  Read Full »

I take Advair for asthma and my WBC value goes down to 3.2. Is there any correlation?

Query: Hello doctor, First of all, I feel just fine. I have no issues with infections, cold and cannot recall the last time when I was sick. I do have allergy-induced asthma and I take Advair and Flunisolide. I had a CBC recently and all values were normal except for WBC which is 3.9. My PCP ordered a rep...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Absolute neutrophil count is slightly low as per the provided report. Temporary associated viral infection along with allergic inflammation can lead to low neutrophil count. Here main concern is high eosinophil count. Normally, if ...  Read Full »

Do my reports suggest leukemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 36 years old female. I got my precautionary health checkup done. I have enclosed the report. My internet search about the result indicates that I may have early stage leukemia (cancer). Please advise.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). All the values are normal and excellent except vitamin D deficiency, which can lead to body pain and mildly high vitamin B12 levels which can be corrected by avoiding non-vegetarian and...  Read Full »

What medicine should I take to increase the levels of WBC, MCV, MCH and MCHC count?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a master health checkup and found the following abnormalities. A few values are out of range and they are as follows. Hemoglobin 12.7, total RBC count 5.62, MCV 62.4, MCH 19.2, MCHC 30.8, WBC count 3400, and platelet count 1.62. What medication should I take to increase the levels ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have read your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and the following is my opinion for your case. Your total WBC count is borderline low. It can be decreased temporarily due to some inflammation. You have to repeat CBC (complete bloo...  Read Full »

What symptoms occur when WBC is 3.7?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood test a few weeks ago. Everything came back within normal range except my white blood cell count. It was slightly low (3.7) and the normal range at my laboratory is 3.8 to 10.8. The test was done because I had mild hypertension and was put on Amlodipine. I have since gone of...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: WBC (white blood cell) count varies with time of collection, method of collection and methods of counting. If there is large variation like less than 1500,...  Read Full »