Q. How to improve WBC count following chemotherapy?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I am a 23 year old male. I am suffering from acute lymphoblastic lymphoma and I am going to finish my last chemotherapy. My WBC count has reduced due to discontinuation of GCSF. After the completion of chemotherapy session, how to recover WBC count? Please suggest me.

#

• GCSF (granulocyte-colony stimulating factor) is given for immediate recovery followed by chemotherapy as chemotherapy causes excessive suppression of the bone marrow.
  • The body has its own mechanism to produce GCSF and it will take usually a few weeks to start producing and recovery.
  • Once the last phase is completed, recovery will slowly occur.
  • You need to maintain a good nutritional diet like protein-rich along with vitamin B12 and folic acid supplements.
  • Try to maintain WBC counts above 4000 and give a few week's time for recovery.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|