Lower Blood Pressure

Is it safe to fly when you keep passing out a lot?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from dizziness. I was getting lightheaded and close to fainting. Lately, I have been passing out a lot. I have an early morning flight tomorrow. Is it safe to fly? Is there a possibility of me fainting on the plane? My current medication includes Prozac, Trazodone and Gabap...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you complaint of frequent passing out, I will advise you to see a doctor to examine you and find the cause behind it. However, the most common cause of frequent pass out can be orthostatic hypotension. It means that when you get up fast there is not enough blood supp...  Read Full »

In a hypertensive patient, how to manage a sudden fall in BP?

Query: Hi doctor, Since two years my mom is taking Atenolol for hypertension. Her dose is 50 mg per day which she eats half in the morning and half at night. About a week ago, her blood pressure became low and today it was 104/65 mmHg and pulse rate is 51. I would be very grateful for your help. Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully worked through your case and want to assure that I will manage your mother's case. It sometimes happens with hypertensive patients and we need to adjust dosage time to time. She should take only 25 mg Atenolol or half the tablet of 50 mg in the ...  Read Full »

Can lack of sleep cause dizziness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a college teacher. I feel fatigue and dizzy for past one year. I slept very late one night and the next day while taking class had a dizzy feeling for a second. I felt that my head was reeling and on that afternoon I took off. It did not happen again but I felt myself weak with less ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your complaints very carefully. Believe me, it has happened to many highly educated people and they have recovered quickly. The giddiness you felt when you were taking class without sleep was a single episode which should not be confused with other symptoms. D...  Read Full »

Please give advise regarding low BP, low sugar blackouts, and palpitations.

Query: Dear doctor, Sometimes I get low BP, low sugar blackouts and palpitations. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Low blood pressure may be due to genetic factors. Do you have a family history of low blood pressure? Hydration and correction of electrolytes might help you. Mix one teaspoon of Electral powder (essential electrolytes) in a glass of water and drink thrice a day for a ...  Read Full »

How to use an automatic blood pressure device?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an automatic device for checking blood pressure at home. There are 3 options of which first says "sys", the second one says "dia" and the third one "pulse'. Which option is for checking the blood pressure and how much should is normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Spiros Theocharous

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The automatic blood pressure machine is a good investment, and it is good to have one at home even if you are not struggling with your blood pressure. The ideal position to take your blood pressure is with the machine located at the level of the heart. The best way to do ...  Read Full »

What can cause diffuse cerebral atrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is a 45 year old female. She had two episodes of unconsciousness. Her BP usually is normal at 80/58 mmHg and pulse 76 to 80 beats per minute.  We got an MRI done which showed diffuse cerebral atrophy with chronic ischaemic changes. MRA normal with no flow limiting significant ...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the attached MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it seems that vascular pathology is the primary cause for the MRI changes in brain. The current pathology indicates that she had poor blood supply for last few years. The reason may be hypotens...  Read Full »

If I quit smoking, will my RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV levels come back to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from hypertension since few years, and I am currently on medication Telmisartan. I am an alcoholic and smoker, and I smoke approximately 15 cigarettes a day for the last five years. My current CBC report suggests high RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV. Though it reduced slightly...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis is polycythemia. Polycythemia can be secondary or primary. Secondary polycythemia occurs because of hypoxia, which activates the oxygen sensor and more erythropoiet...  Read Full »