Q. Please explain my MRI report taken for first lumbar and thoracic pain.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Can you review my MRI findings?

#

I have seen the MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but have no clinical information to go by and why this MRI was needed.

Grossly, I can say there is good alignment of the spine, discs are not showing signs of bulging or prolapse. The canal diameter is adequate though it appears to be narrowed in the transverse axis at certain levels but certainly no evidence of stenosis or ligament flavum thickening. The exiting nerves are free and foramina are clear.

I have been having lumbar thoracic pain which is somewhat relieved by muscle relaxers, hot showers, and stretching. Nevertheless, it has gotten so bad that I had trigger point injections and a Medrol pack which helped to a greater or lesser degree for a few weeks. Some days I cannot sit for more than 20 minutes at a time without discomfort and I am worried that I cannot tolerate a long transatlantic flight. I get burning sensations near the spine after a long day at the lumbar thoracic junction. Would you recommend soft tissue massage and mild chiropractic adjustment? I will be seeing my spine specialist this week. It seems like nothing is necessitating surgery as of yet.

#

To answer your queries, I do not think that there is any need for surgery as you do not have any leg symptoms. Pain and burning sensations are confined to the back only.

Yes, manual therapy and chiropractic treatment will be of use and will help in relieving trigger spot pain and the burning sensations can be helped by Pregabalin and Duloxetine.

|