Lump In Neck

Please suggest treatment for lump inside throat with no pain and difficulty in swallowing.

Query: Hello doctor, For the last six weeks, I have a feeling like a lump inside my throat on my right side. No pain, no problem with swallowing. It also feels a little dry if that makes sense, and it is worse when I workout with open mouth breathing. I think my tonsil is bigger on that side although I do...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pictures are very clear. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears you have a milk reflux problem that is causing these symptoms. Additionally, there seems to be a small element of post nasal drip chasing the dryness and worsening of lump fee...  Read Full »

What causes a lump at the back of my neck?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore shoulder and neck. In the back of my neck, I feel a lump. I can feel it when I bend my neck forward and on my left side. I also get some burning sensation in my neck. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Zubair Mohammad

Physiotherapist, Chiropractor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you described as a lump is C7 vertebrae. It is normally more visible than other vertebrae. It is appearing for you as a lump either because you are overweight or you have forward head posture or both. For burning sensation, pain and sore shoulders apply ice pack till...  Read Full »

What causes a lump in the neck?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I got a lump in the right side of my neck before two weeks. I am taking capsule Cipmox 500, but it has not yet cured. Though it is not painful, I am worried. It never happened earlier. Please help.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Such neck lump needs clinical examination to get an idea what it is. If it is mobile, painless and static in size, then it could be a fat deposit known as lipoma. In case it is painful, then it can be an abscess or lymph node. The best way out is ...  Read Full »

I have red lumps behind palatopharyngeal arch. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently noticed white little lumps on the spots at the back of my throat, one behind palatopharyngeal arch which is a red lump and another on the back of my throat each side with red bumps and white little things on them. What is it? I do not know how long I had it. I do not drink ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The red bumps with white little things on them at the back of the throat (behind the palatopharyngeal arch) are called lymphoid granules. These are lymphoid tissues that are normally present...  Read Full »

Is biopsy necessary for neck swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a swelling developed on my neck overnight 10 days ago. I went to a doctor who did an ultrasound and took thyroid function blood tests. He said it as a 3 x 3 cm cyst with 1 x 1 cm tumor or nodule with some calcification. He took some of the cyst liquid and sent away for tests, but...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A cyst being malignant is very unlikely. But, a nodule definitely needs evaluation though you do not have any symptoms. I recommend you to first get I-131 scintigraphy scan followed by FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). This is irrespective of cyst fluid report. For...  Read Full »

Does lump in the right anterior triangle of neck suggest lymphoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old female. I have a lump in my neck for about nine weeks now. It is between my hyoid bone and sternocleidomastoid muscle on the right anterior triangle of my neck. It is palpable when I tilt my head back. It is probably as big as a penny but not as round as a penny. It...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern regarding this lump. I also understand that you have gone through the internet trying to get an approximate diagnosis for the same. As per your history and description, it appears that this lump is arising from superficial structures of th...  Read Full »

Why do I have a lump under the chin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, 5' 7", 130 lbs. Generally healthy. I have a small, but firm/rubbery lump under my chin near the front of my neck (sort of the curve where neck and chin meet). It is the size of a large pea. I have been ill with a cold this week and also have generally swolle...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is likely related to current infection, either a cold or tooth infection as it is a draining lymph node for both the sites. So, the site may appear unusual to you but it is possible to get enlarged at the site. Consistency may vary with infection, but it shou...  Read Full »

Why do I have a preauricular lump under the skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a BB sized lump where my preauricular lymph node is, right outside my right ear. My dermatologist, who is treating me for melanoma in situ, is sending me to an ENT this week to check it out, but said melanoma in situ cannot spread. I have no other symptoms. It is not tender and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For swelling in the pre-auricular area, my differentials are: Lymph node enlargement. Parotid gland swelling. Skin tumor. Parapharyngeal space growth. Since it is rubbery and movable, I feel it is more like a node only. Nevertheless, we need to investigate i...  Read Full »

Why is there a lump below jaw with pain while swallowing in a child?

Query: Hello doctor,A 5-year-old boy has a neck mass or lump on his right side of the neck under the jaw. He feels pain while swallowing food and if he touches it. No fever, no cough, no cold, no complications. The lump is visible and was observed yesterday. We have visited a doctor and he advised to take ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The mass or lump that is being felt may be inflammation of local gland due to infection or lymph node enlargement. Both of these will respond to the antibiotics given. In case that it does not resolve, then a further workup is recommended which include radiological, ...  Read Full »

What can be done for a lump on the neck of a 5 year old?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old son has a lump on his neck. He had a similar lump about two years back, but it disappeared. The size of the lump is a little bigger this time. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lump in the neck is due to an enlarged lymph node caused by an infection. If the node is enlarged, then a course of antibiotic has to be given after consulting a pediatrician. If it responds to the antibiotics, then nothing more is required. But if the lump is increasi...  Read Full »