Lump In Neck

Why do I have a lump under the chin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, 5' 7", 130 lbs. Generally healthy. I have a small, but firm/rubbery lump under my chin near the front of my neck (sort of the curve where neck and chin meet). It is the size of a large pea. I have been ill with a cold this week and also have generally swolle...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is likely related to current infection, either a cold or tooth infection as it is a draining lymph node for both the sites. So, the site may appear unusual to you but it is possible to get enlarged at the site. Consistency may vary with infection, but it shou...  Read Full »

Why do I have a preauricular lump under the skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a BB sized lump where my preauricular lymph node is, right outside my right ear. My dermatologist, who is treating me for melanoma in situ, is sending me to an ENT this week to check it out, but said melanoma in situ cannot spread. I have no other symptoms. It is not tender and...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For swelling in the pre-auricular area, my differentials are: Lymph node enlargement. Parotid gland swelling. Skin tumor. Parapharyngeal space growth. Since it is rubbery and movable, I feel it is more like a node only. Nevertheless, we need to investigate i...  Read Full »

Why is there a lump below jaw with pain while swallowing in a child?

Query: Hello doctor,A 5-year-old boy has a neck mass or lump on his right side of the neck under the jaw. He feels pain while swallowing food and if he touches it. No fever, no cough, no cold, no complications. The lump is visible and was observed yesterday. We have visited a doctor and he advised to take ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The mass or lump that is being felt may be inflammation of local gland due to infection or lymph node enlargement. Both of these will respond to the antibiotics given. In case that it does not resolve, then a further workup is recommended which include radiological, ...  Read Full »

What can be done for a lump on the neck of a 5 year old?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old son has a lump on his neck. He had a similar lump about two years back, but it disappeared. The size of the lump is a little bigger this time. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lump in the neck is due to an enlarged lymph node caused by an infection. If the node is enlarged, then a course of antibiotic has to be given after consulting a pediatrician. If it responds to the antibiotics, then nothing more is required. But if the lump is increasi...  Read Full »

Why is there a lump in throat followed by dry cough?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a lump in throat under the chin, lump on left side of the neck and lump on the left shoulder. Followed by headaches, voice hoarseness, and dry irritation cough. I am a female of 32 years.  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lumps in the throat under the chin associated with headaches, voice hoarseness, and dry irritation cough are due to acute infection of the throat, most probably laryngotracheitis. I highly recommend consulting with ENT specialist to rule out infectious mononucleosis....  Read Full »

I notice a lump in my neck after a throat infection. Could this be from the virus?

Query: Hello doctor, On Sunday evening, I went to bed with a stuffy nose and in the morning, I woke up with body aches and chills and a sore throat. I look at my throat in the mirror and notice pus starting on my tonsils. The next day, my tonsils are covered in pus, painful to swallow. Body aches and chil...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I shall try to help you out on this one. The symptoms and signs which you have written are consistent with the diagnosis of acute tonsillitis. However, since tests for bacteria were negative, there is most probably a viral cause for the infection. Mono test is a tes...  Read Full »

At what age can surgery be done for a branchial cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, My 20 months old son is diagnosed with a branchial cyst in the anterior aspect of his neck, at the right paramedian location at the level of the thyroid gland. It is anterior to the strap muscle with cranial extension up to the right submandibular gland. Is the only option surgery? I...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your information and the ultrasonography report provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The only treatment for this condition is surgery. Any surgery that is done under general anesthesia does have a very small risk of things going wron...  Read Full »

Why is there a swollen lump present on my left side of the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small swollen lump on the left side of my neck. I do not feel sick. But I feel like I have a fever and headache. My teeth look fine, and I do not have sensitivity. Can I have an infection in my teeth?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Yes, as per your history, you may have a dental infection or an ear problem on the same side. You need to upload a picture of your teeth so that I can conclude it. There can also be a dangerous lesion asso...  Read Full »

What does a small lump on my neck mean?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I have discovered a small lump on the right side of my neck. I am usually the person who starts worrying and gets paranoid whenever I discover something like this. I used to do it all the time with my glands. It feels like a gland, but it is slightly bigger and more tender than...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your neck or for the fact any picture from the internet highlighting that area? It seems like it might be a swollen gland, which can happen even with common cold or flu. But, it is hard to confirm without a picture and...  Read Full »

I have a feeling of lump in the throat but scan shows nothing. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a feeling of a lump in my throat for over a month with a feeling of trouble swallowing. There is no pain and I can get food down but it feels like it takes more time to get the food down. I went to a hospital and they did a CAT scan of my throat and said there are no tumors...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swallowing is a process which starts at the mouth and ends at the stomach. CT scan for your throat just investigates the pharynx and the upper esophagus. You have to investigate the whole track. A barium swallow is so helpful as it can detect strictures and masses a...  Read Full »