Q. My 5 year old kid has a lump on his neck. What to do?

Dr. E. Venkata Ramana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

My 5 year old son has a lump on his neck. He had a similar lump about two years back, but it disappeared. The size of the lump is a little bigger this time. What to do?

#

Lump in the neck is due to an enlarged lymph node caused by an infection. If the node is enlarged, then a course of antibiotic has to be given after consulting a pediatrician. If it responds to the antibiotics, then nothing more is required.

But if the lump is increasing in spite of antibiotics, then the following tests need to be done to know the type of pathology:

1. CBC (complete blood count).
  2. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  3. Chest x-ray.
  4. Mantoux test.
  5. FNAC (fine-needle aspiration cytology) of the swelling.

|