Q. What is the cause for a lump on both sides of the neck?

Dr. Radha P H
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 24-year-old female. I have a lump on both sides of my neck that I first noticed two months ago and still not going away even with antibiotics. I have no fever. Six months back, I had an ear infection and was prescribed antibiotics. I was also diagnosed with COVID-19 a year before. Currently, I have dental decay.

Please help me to look into it.

Thanks.

#

Lumps or lymph nodes enlargement on the neck are often met with many conditions. The most common cause is tooth decay or infection inside the oral cavity or gums. Ear infection also produces lymph node enlargement. If you have a chronic infection, then the glands will be persistent.

• How big are the glands?
  • How many are there?
  • Are they painful?
  • Does it feel like more than two are stuck together, or can you feel each one separately?

Even if you have infections, like tooth decay or ear infection, we must not neglect these glands.

There are certain conditions where lymph nodes enlargement is seen without any primary infection, like various types of lymphomas, tuberculous glands, and some blood diseases. So you have to see a surgeon and find out of this can be left alone or if it should be investigated. So please fix up an appointment with your doctor so that he can personally examine and find out.

Take care.

|