Q. I get a small lump in my anus during my periods, and it is painful and irritating. Why?

Dr. Sandhya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 18, 2021

I am female. My height is 160 cm. My weight was 74 four years ago. Two years ago, I became 84. I am really shy to tell others. My age is 27. I lived away from family for three years. My lifestyle was changed, food habits also changed. At that time, I had a baby. I stopped lactation after two and a half years. Problems also started from here. The problem is my periods are very irregular. I get menstrual bleeding three to four months once. At that time, weight was gained. Sometimes my anus is irritating, and bowel movement happens. A small mustard size lump visible on my anal wall. I went to a doctor and tested thoroughly. They told me it is nothing. It will go if I follow a good diet. I took homeopathic medicine. After three years, I am back in my place. But now my period is always irregular. When I have my menstrual bleeding, the lump in my anal wall is swelling. It is irritating and painful. I did not tell others. I am applying castor oil with cotton at this time regularly until it is gone back. Please help.

#

Firstly I would like to assure you that you do not have to worry. Your stress and tension contribute to the problem and might make it seem worse. There is a huge impact of psychological state on any physical condition. So first and foremost you need to relax. Secondly, as you mentioned, you had consulted a doctor and got it examined, and it was nothing serious. It would help if you stopped worrying about it. I have not seen the lump, and I would request you to include images of the same so that I can give a look at it and help you through it. You need to understand that having a lumpy mass in the anal area is normal and is part of our physique. It is not unusual. I would like to know if there have been episodes of bleeding from the area.

As far as the irritation is concerned, you need to ensure a good diet, including:

1) Consume three to four liters of water per day. It would help in easy digestion and regular bowel movements.

2) Increase the number of vegetables and fruits in your diet.

3) Do not consume too much meat especially red meat. You could definitely have fish as it is rich in omega-three fatty acids and is very good for your health.

4) Have detox drinks like lemon and honey in warm water.

5) Another effective way of getting rid of irritation is to sit in a tub of warm water with salt for about 15 minutes twice daily. It is referred to as sitz bath in our terms and is very effective.

6) Start using Vitamin C 500 mg twice daily for a month.

Now, about irregular menstruation:

1) Have you undergone a uterine scan? If not, you need to get a scan.

2) Carry out a thyroid test including TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), T3, T4 at a laboratory.

3) The above tests would help rule out any pathology that could contribute to irregular menstruation and excessive weight gain.

Do not be worried or stressed out.

|