Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have a painless bony lump behind my ear. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020


I found this boney lump behind my ear back last year and went to an urgent care. They told me it was a lymph node and if it didn’t go away to come back. It was a busy year and I forgot about it. Last week I just found the lump again and started to get nervous as it’s still there. There’s no change in size and it’s not painful. I went to a GP last week to get it checked and they told me it was possibly a cyst and did not feel like cancer. I have terrible health anxiety and am not feeling reassured as I don’t understand why it’s only on one side, why it’s so hard and why it won’t go away.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Thanks for providing a detailed description of the problem in concern. There is absolutely nothing that you need to be worried about.

Most commonly the reason for a swelling in the post aural region above the mastoid without any ear problems is an enlarged lymph node.

The most common cause of asymptomatic lymph node in the post aural region is an inflammation over the scalp. It could be fungal sebbhoric dermatitis or dandruff as well which is causing the issue. It would be best if you use shampoo containing ketaconazole to reduce the inflammation.

I hope i have answered your query. If there is anything more you want to know or enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP.

Warm regards!

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?
My hair is getting brittle and dry. Is this due to seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp?
I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is the lump in breast cancer or cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, I found a lump in my breast five months back. Initially, it was told to be a cyst. I followed up after four weeks, and the cyst was unchanged. My PCP recommended a needle biopsy to be safe. My surgeon felt more comfortable with lumpectomy because I have a family history of thyroid tum...  Read Full »

Can hard lump on my forearm mean a fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I hit my forearm yesterday and there is a hard lump now where it was hit. It does not hurt to move my arm or pick things up but does hurt if any pressure is put near the lump. It does not sound like a fracture, does it? I do not want to go to the doctor's office as everyone is sick an...  Read Full »

Baby has white patch on cheeks though pimples are gone. Is it seborrheic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1 and a half month old baby is having mild cradle cap and cluster of red pimples on his face. The area is quite dry even though the pimples are gone. This has left a white patch or discoloration on his cheeks. Is this atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis? How long will it l...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.