Q. I have a painless bony lump behind my ear. What is it?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

I found this boney lump behind my ear back last year and went to an urgent care. They told me it was a lymph node and if it didn’t go away to come back. It was a busy year and I forgot about it. Last week I just found the lump again and started to get nervous as it’s still there. There’s no change in size and it’s not painful. I went to a GP last week to get it checked and they told me it was possibly a cyst and did not feel like cancer. I have terrible health anxiety and am not feeling reassured as I don’t understand why it’s only on one side, why it’s so hard and why it won’t go away.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hi!

Thanks for providing a detailed description of the problem in concern. There is absolutely nothing that you need to be worried about.

Most commonly the reason for a swelling in the post aural region above the mastoid without any ear problems is an enlarged lymph node.

The most common cause of asymptomatic lymph node in the post aural region is an inflammation over the scalp. It could be fungal sebbhoric dermatitis or dandruff as well which is causing the issue. It would be best if you use shampoo containing ketaconazole to reduce the inflammation.

I hope i have answered your query. If there is anything more you want to know or enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP.

Warm regards!

|