Q. What is your opinion about the lump that I have on my soft palate?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

I am a 52 year old male. I have a lump just on top of my soft palate next to uvula. The lump was pink or red, medium and painless without bleeding. Three weeks ago, I found it, and I did not notice anything before. There is no such history in my family. I visited my GP, and he referred me to an oral surgeon. Is the lump, a dangerous one? What would you recommend for it to subside? I have uploaded my lump photos. It is not painful even if I touch the lump with my tongue. After doing warm salt water gargle, the lump reduced a bit. I am not a smoker. I am a known diabetic and hypertensive. I do not have a cough or throat problem now or before.

#

Based on your query and attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• If it is painful, I would have been a bit happy as inflammatory swellings are usually painful.
  • As it is present since three weeks and there is no pain, I would strongly advise a biopsy of the swelling done.
  • It could be a benign lesion in early stages, and complete removal could solve the problem.
  • Salt water gargles cause dehydration of any tissue and hence, lump size could have reduced for a short period.
  • Do get a biopsy done like complete excision and biopsy histopathology results can confirm its nature.

Excision biopsy of the lesion.

Squamous papilloma.

Revert with the results to a geriatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

It is not painful. Do you think it as a dangerous lump? I am going to meet an oral surgeon tomorrow. When I asked one of my friends, who is an ENT doctor, through email with the above photos, he said that it could be a papilloma or oral wart. Is that lump curable? Should I stop doing salt water gargle? Please advise.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Salt gargles can be stopped as it would not serve any purpose.
  • The lump does not appear to be any dangerous, and there is no reason to worry.
  • Yes, it appears to be a possible papilloma or wart, and it is easily curable.
  • Once you get it excised, do follow it up for at least six months. If no recurrence, then nothing to worry. If it recurs, then re-excision may be necessary.

For further information consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

|