Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why am I having a soft, fluid lump inside my vagina?

Answered by
Dr. Vidyaprem
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have had a soft, fluid lump inside my vagina for some months now. I find that if I sit back like on the toilet the lump will be right at the vaginal entrance but when lying down it feels further inside the vagina. I visited my GP as I was also having some irritation in the area and I was examined but the Doctor did not seem to know what lump I was talking about and prescribed antibiotics for 5 days. After around 8 days the irritation had gone and a different doctor said it was probably a barthollian cyst that would go away if I used hot compresses. Since then I have also had irregular bleeding, and today the discomfort returned.

Dr. Vidyaprem

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

The most probable cause of a fluid filled cyst inside the vagina is Gartners cyst. It is usually asymptomatic and benign. It does not interfere with cycle irregularity or sex. Gartners cyst does not go away with hot compression or antibiotics. It requires exicision, only when the cyst is too big. Transvaginal ultrasound can pick up the issue. The likely cause of the irregular cycles could be hormonal, anemia, weight gain hypothyroidism, stress, change in food and exercise pattern can affect the cycle length and pattern.

The Probable causes:

Gartners cyst.

Investigations to be done:


Differential diagnosis:

Gartners cyst and cycle irregularity is probably hormonal.

Probable diagnosis:

Gartners cyst.

Treatment plan:

Reassurance for gartners cyst or exicision only if necessary.

pills & wt reduction for cycle regulation

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is the lump on my back fat or a tumor?
I had a miscarriage last year. What can I do to get pregnant now?
Is the lump in breast cancer or cyst?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Are white bumps under the tongue normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old female, and I have white bumps on the back of my tongue. I also have painful white sores on the sides of the tongue. I have been getting painful sores on the tip of my tongue quite frequently for the past two months. But this time, the pain was severe. I did get some re...  Read Full »

Will a partial hysterectomy help me relieve severe period pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old female. Why does the area, which I believe is my ovaries, hurt when I stretch? The pain would be in both the left and right side. When I sit down for a long time or when I defecate, it hurts a lot in the area. During my periods, why do my legs go numb? Every month aroun...  Read Full »

Can a lump on the head be treated with medication?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom aged 52 years has got a small lump on her head three years back. Although it was not causing any pain, she is just curious to know if it can get treated by medication. She felt that its size increased slightly, but she does not prefer surgery. For your information, the present ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.