Q. From the reports, kindly suggest whether my father has advanced lung cancer or not?

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

I took my dad to the hospital because of intense pain in his legs. After a lot of tests, the doctors suspected that he has advanced cancer. But they were unable to do a biopsy because of his heart disease and other problems. I received reports from hospitals about my father's condition. One report suggests that he has advanced cancer and it has spread to different parts of the body. They did a PET because of his health problems. After six weeks, again I took him to the hospital because of severe pain in the legs and the painkillers are given initially was not helpful. The other doctor did a biopsy of the lung and suggested possible stage 1 cancer. He had loss of weight and the pain in the legs increased. He has done open heart surgery before three years. He has heart disease, blood pressure, and diabetes. I am interested in getting a specialist look at the reports and images and say why there is such a difference of opinion by two cancer specialists. I would like to know what these reports mean:

Does he have advanced lung cancer or only stage 1 cancer? If he has advanced cancer, should we consider palliative care? If it is not advanced cancer, should we go through therapy? If so, chemotherapy or radiation? Just give a second opinion after reading these reports and suggest how to proceed. We need an urgent response.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your father has advanced lung cancer, which has spread to his bones and other parts of the body. I do not know why someone has said it is a stage 1 cancer. It is a very aggressive stage 4 lung cancer. On considering his age, poor cardiac condition, incurable disease, he is not a candidate for any active oncology treatment. He needs only symptomatic treatment with pain medication. For pain, he should take Morphine. Take help of a good palliative care doctor. I am sorry, but he has a very short remaining life.

For more information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

Does the biopsy report indicate that he has advanced cancer? I have been told that he needs treatment for six months as he has stage 1 lung cancer. Because of the significant difference between the reports that seem to suggest advanced cancer and the latest biopsy report seem to indicate stage 1 cancer, I want some clarification, particularly about the biopsy report.

#

A biopsy report never tells about the stage of the disease. It shows the grade of the tumor. In this case, it is poorly differentiated, which means aggressive cancer. Staging is confirmed by imaging, like PET (positron emission tomography) scan. It suggests that there is a large primary tumor in the lungs and a widespread disease in the bones and other areas. I hope it is clear to you now.

For more information consult a medical oncologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

|