Q. How would Tecentriq be useful for a lung cancer patient with PD-L1 of 1%?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My mother has been diagnosed with lung cancer and they have tested for various markers (eGFR, PD-L1, TTF, etc.). Her PD-L1 is 1% and our understanding is that FDA approved Tecentriq only for situations of PD-L1 greater than 50. The tumor is 3 by 5. Can you provide any guidance on how or why Tecentriq could be seen as useful with a PD-L at this level?

Please help.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com,

I understand your concern. As the PD-L1 (Programme death ligand-1) is one percent, Tecentriq (Atezolizumab) would not help much. Tecentriq slows down the growth of cancer cells.

Thank you for the response. Does it mean that taking the medication can still slow down the growth rate? Is it considered the first line of treatment? Is Keytruda used for the same? Is it a PD-L1 Inhibitor? Please advice me and can you provide me with more information.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com,

I understand your concern. If PD-L1 is one percent, then the chances are low. Keytruda (Pembrolizumab) is an immunotherapy drug. They slow down or stop cell growth. Immunotherapy is more effective and costlier than radiation and chemotherapy.

Will life expectancy improve? For how many months or years?

Please explain.

Will taking chemotherapy and immunotherapy give better results? When Pemetrexed 500 mg and Carboplatin AUC 5 are taken together, will it improve the condition?

Can you please advise?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com,

Life expectancy can increase for a few months or years, but it cannot be predicted precisely. Pemetrexed (Almita) and Carboplatin (Paraplatin) are used for first-line chemotherapy and can increase life expectancy.

Does this treatment work for extensive or stage four patients? Do they show side effects? Please mention if this can cause a profound impact on the body.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

Chemotherapy can contribute to side effects like tiredness, hair loss, etc. Stage one shows a better to a good prognosis. But you cannot see much improvement. But they are manageable with supportive drugs.

|