Lung Function Test

How to diagnose the cause of shortness of breath and extreme fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom, who is 76 years old, has a transferritin saturation level of 17. She has been scheduled for iron infusion therapy. She feels extremely fatigued, short of breath and arthritic pain. She cannot tolerate oral Iron. She has had iron infusions before, but do not last long. What to do? ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am trying to understand whether she has iron deficiency anemia or anemia of chronic disease or myelodysplastic syndrome. Did she ever get a bone marrow biopsy or hemoglobin electrophoresis? Can you share her latest complete blood count (CBC) before and after the inf...  Read Full »

How much exposure of sanded grout is considered serious?

Query: Hello doctor, The query is about sanded grout exposure. I am quite concerned about my girlfriend’s exposure to silica dust. We were doing a home renovation. I left for about 1.5 hours while she was removing tile in a kitchen. When I had come back I saw she was removing grout with a grinder an...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the history, it is quite a high-level exposure and it can cause some kind of pneumonitis feature called hypersensitivity pneumonitis or toxic dust syndrome. If she develops symptoms of a cough, breathlessness, better to get a CT thorax to see her lungs and if...  Read Full »

How long should my mother stay on a ventilator?

Query: Hello doctor,My 98 year old mother is on a ventilator. Yesterday, they did a T-piece trial and for an hour everything looked good. But, the blood gases showed 61% Co2 and her last blood gas was 51% while on CPAP. They are going to do another test in a few days. The head RT said because of that Co2 s...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. It all depends on the primary cause leading her to a ventilator. In case it is an acute pneumonia or bronchitis, once the infection settles, then the pCo2 levels settle automatic and the lung function will improve. In fact, if she is conscious an...  Read Full »

What can be the cause of breathlessness when climbing stairs?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a problem of breathlessness when I climb stairs. I got an angiography done two years back. The concerned cardiologist said there is no problem except for a sluggish blood flow. He recommended Ecosprin for two months. But the problem persists.  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For your breathlessness when climbing the stairs, I suggest you do a PFT (pulmonary function test) to evaluate the lung function as sometimes this type of problem may be due to a lung problem. For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.co...  Read Full »

Can you comment on my lung function tests?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had issues with a somewhat forced breathing and a cold or a cough that is not clearing up from the last two to three months. The doctor sent me for a pulmonary test, the results of which I have attached. What do they mean? I have also attached my latest blood reports. Can yo...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through both the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your lung function tests detected a decreased diffusing capacity which can be due to either a vascular disease that decreases the blood supply to a portion of the lung or parenchyma...  Read Full »

Can smoking cause high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and shortness of breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I suffered from bronchitis, four years ago. Since it got cured, I smoked cigarettes for two years and gradually stopped smoking. Recently, I have high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and I have shortness of breath. I started running 2 km daily. Why am I having all these symptoms?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have a history of smoking, smoking-induced left ventricular hypertrophy, emphysema, bronchitis, pulmonary congestion, etc., can lead to such presentation. You need to do the following investigations: Auscultation. Chest x-ray. 2D echocardiography or...  Read Full »