Q. In lung biopsy, what does subpleural fibroelastic scarring mean?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I took a lung biopsy that showed subpleural fibroelastic scarring along with bilateral blebs. What does it mean?

#

According to your lung biopsy report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), there is a mild degree of erythematous change with subpleural cysts and marked subpleural fibroelastic scarring with mild chronic inflammation. The apex of the lungs is less than 5 mm. There is no sign of malignancy or dysplastic changes.

• Subpleural fibroelastic scarring means thickening and loss of elasticity of healthy lung tissue.
  • Usually, small areas of lung scarring are not serious enough to affect someone's quality of life; however, wide scarring of lungs are dangerous and may result from smoking, environmental pollutions, occupational hazards like cement factory, silica, asbestos, coal, etc.
  • Bilateral pulmonary blebs mean a small collection of air between the inner and outer surface of the lungs.
  • Small blebs are common in normal individuals, especially in thin and smoking patients, which subsides by themselves within a few weeks.

So, please do not worry. Take care. If there are any queries, ask me, I can assist you further.

|