Q. What is maternal Lyme borreliosis?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

A friend of mine has started treatment for MS, but she is not showing any progress. MRI showed MS-like lesions. She did a Lyme disease test and also has received some positive antibody results. Borrelia burgdorferi Immunoblot IgG - p41 is positive, Borrelia burgdorferi Immunoblot IgM - OspC - positive, OspC (IgM), B.afzelii - positive, B.garinii - positive. I understand that it is hard, if not impossible, to diagnose a person this way, but my question for you is, can these results indicate Lyme, and if she should seek further tests to make sure. She is feeling awful, MS treatment is not working, and she is also five months pregnant, and it seems there is nobody at the hospital who cares too much about her condition, so she is trying to fight. Can you please assist in any way? Please help.

#

I understand your concern. I acknowledge the lab reports attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) with this query. The serological lab reports suggest Borrelia infection with neurological involvement (Multiple sclerosis). Borrelia infection during pregnancy is called maternal Lyme borreliosis, which often needs treatment with antimicrobials with a perfect response. Lyme disease with neurological involvement usually takes a long time for improvement. Very rarely, few may not improve, depending on the patient's underlying factors like nutrition and immune function. Factors like emotional stress can flare up the disease process, hence has to be avoided. Do ask your friend to stay calm and undergo antimicrobial treatment. Ask your friend to prevent wheat and gluten, eggs, fish, peanuts, milk and other dairy products, corn, shellfish during the treatment. Your friend can take green leafy vegetables and food rich in omega-three fatty acids. Let your friend stay hydrated. Let the treating doctor choose appropriate treatment like antimicrobials. I wish a speedy recovery for your friend. I hope this helps.

|