Lymph Node Enlargement

What causes lymph node swelling, diarrhea, and headaches?

Query: Hi doctor,I recently noticed that the lymph node on the left side of my neck began to swell, and there is pain for the past two days, and it has not subsided. I also have chronic diarrhea for almost two days with a mild headache, night sweats, and congestion. Could this be a sign of flu or illness? ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. Diarrhea with headache and congestion could be due to acute viral gastroenteritis. There could be an anaerobic infection as well. I suggest the following treatment plan: Tablet Metrogyl 400 mg (Metronidazole) ...  Read Full »

What can cause painless bony lump behind the ear?

Query: Hello doctor,I found this boney lump behind my ear back last year and went to an urgent care. It was said a lymph node, and it did not go away to come back. It was a busy year, and I forgot about it. Last week I just found the lump again and started to get nervous as it is still there. There is no c...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for providing a detailed description of the problem in concern. There is absolutely nothing that you need to be worried about. The reason for a swelling in the post aural region above the mastoid without any ear problems is an enlarged lymph node. The most com...  Read Full »

I have a swelling on the right side of the neck. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, My lymph node on the right side of my neck is swollen. I also have some swelling on the both sides of the back of my neck. It is hurting badly.  I have been on antibiotics for months, and it has been the same. It is very hard to see in a picture, but you can see and feel it in person. It...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, you have to get an appointment with a dentist and find out if any tooth is involved, which may be causing an abscess, inflammation of the nodes and swelling in the neck. The teeth have to be extracted or get root canal treatment for it. If the dentist says that...  Read Full »

Should I be worried about the swollen lump present in my left neck below my chin?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a swollen lump in my left neck under the chin. Sometimes, I feel pain on the left side neck. I visited a few doctors, and they told that I have an infection. They gave me antibiotic, but the swelling is still present. I am a little worried.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.If you could send a picture of the swelling, then it will be more helpful.The doctor has diagnosed it as an infected lymph node, namely the jugulodigastric node that is present in the upper part of the neck below the jaw.The lymph node gets inflamed when there is any in...  Read Full »

What do the bumps on my uvula indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed some small bumps or swellings around the base of my uvula. I have attached the pictures, and I am very scared that this may be cancer, or is it lymphoid tissue? I do have a postnasal drip. I suffer from anxiety and dealing with my father's death, so at the moment, my an...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your throat shows significant congestion and dilatation of blood vessels around the uvula and tonsils (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). There is significant swelling of the uvula too. There is an enlargement of lymphatic tissue (pharyngeal l...  Read Full »

I have a soft bump behind my ear for a year. Is it infection or cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a soft bump behind my left ear and that is about 1.5 cm wide and 2.5 cm long. It has been there for about a year now and in the last four months or so it has become sore. I have photos of it too if that will help. I am wondering what it might be. I thought it would just go away, bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: It appears to be a lymph node. It usually indicates some surrounding area infection like scalp.  As it is painful, probably in response to infection. If i...  Read Full »

What is the hard and painless pea-sized lump present in front of my ear?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a hard pea-sized lump in front of my ear (preauricular lymph node) that is hard, painless, and does not move. It has been there about six months but has become more prominent that a friend noticed it. I have also just noticed this week another lump appears towards the top or back ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A lymph node located in the preauricular or the auricular region usually represents infection in the scalp, temples, the eye, or even in the ear. There could be a subtle subclinical chronic infection of the scalp you are probably not aware of. It is always worthwhile to...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for abdominal lymphadenopathy in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 5 years old, was detected with abdominal lymphadenopathy. Her ESR level is 62. She is also suffering from constipation and abdominal pain. Her doctor done blood tests, ultrasound and endoscopy followed by histopathology. The biopsy report shows chronic duodenitis with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should not worry. There is no evidence of cancer in the given scenario as such (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lymph nodes in the abdomen are normal structure. The lymph nodes enlarge in the presence of infection and malignancy. Here, LN is not so en...  Read Full »

What causes swelling around the wisdom tooth and swollen lymph nodes?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week I noticed a fleshy sac protruding from my back left gum below my wisdom tooth. I do not had pain or discomfort. I decided to rinse my mouth with salt water for few times on that day to see for the disappearance of it. The next day, the sac got smaller but I had a swelling i...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be due to pericoronitis and it causes lymph node inflammation and pain. It is a chronic problem and it comes at regular intervals. I suggest you take medications and if possible, share the picture to provide a better prognosis and treatment.  Read Full »

What causes a tiny enlargement on the left side of the neck after getting cold?

Query: Hi doctor,I had a cold before fifteen days. When I was bathing, I felt a tiny enlargement on the left side of the neck. It was very tiny in the size of a half-sized pea. It was not visible and it is felt only when it is pressed. I got panic. So I visited the doctor and he told me that he does not fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhika Shukla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After carefully reading your detailed history, it seems like an enlarged neck node. I would like to ask you a few questions to help you treat the condition better. Please mention whether you had a fever or an evening rise of temperature, loss of weight, and sore throat....  Read Full »