Q. I have a lymph node swelling below ear after sex. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Hello doctor,

I had sex with a friend and have a swelling on my lymph node under my ear when asked he said he has genital herpes. I wanted to be sure if I have any sort of STD. Please tell me what are the tests I have to go through to be sure.

Do you have a question on Lymph Node Enlargement or Std?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Usually, the blood test for herpes becomes positive only after 2 to 3 weeks because antibodies in the body take time to give you positive results otherwise false-negative results can occur (antibodies test for HSV1 and HSV2). Herpes infections can be diagnosed by looking on the lesions on body and blood investigations are often not required.

If you have any symptoms then consult a nearby physician or dermatologist for further evala uation. Sometimes, the viral culture of a swab from skin lesions or nuclear amplification test (NAT) can be done without waiting for blood test as this test can be done earlier.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

I am having cold after sexual intercourse. Should I get tested for HIV?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old boy. Recently, I had sex with a lady. We are working together, and two weeks before only her visa got renewed. While the visa stamping time, they check all procedures and tests. About her, she is divorced and separated before one year back. Since one year she lived ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Rashi Verma
General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query. It is most likely that fever and cough are due to common cold. Please do warm saline gargles several times a day to reduce the throat inflammation. You can also take steam inhalations to get relief. If a cough is persisting you can take the anti...  Read Full

Will I get STD just by a touch?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a sexual experience with a massage worker. I am not sure exactly, but she seemed to kiss or maybe spit on to the top of my penis during a hand job. Later she rubbed her vagina across my penis. I moved away but it is completely possible that the end of my penis touched her vaginal l...  Read Full >>
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The exposure you described was practically not sufficient to transmit HIV virus. Even after having a full-blown penovaginal sex with HIV positive women, the chance of acquiring HIV is less than 0.05 percentage and by this you can calculate your risk. Cannot say ...  Read Full

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.
Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full >>
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel that you are experiencing an early stage of urinary infection. When you have sex, some penile secretions and semen may enter the bladder. It is a good practice to pass urine after sex. This may not need medication. Have lots of water, milk, juice, barley water or...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Doctor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.