Q. My 1-year-old baby has swelling behind her ear with fever. What is that?

Dr. Prakash Nagar

My baby has a bump behind her ear and head. I searched it online and found it as lymph node. I do not know what exactly it is but she is so irritated and she has a fever, I do not know what to do. Please help. She is only 1 year old and I am giving her Tempra.

#

You are absolutely right, these are lymph nodes. Everyone has it but due to so many different reasons, they become a bit enlarged and can be felt. If they are not increasing in size, and not painful on touch along with a normal skin over it, then not to worry. It does not require any specific medication. In case any of the above-mentioned symptoms and signs are there, then it needs to be taken care of.

Presently what have explained regarding fever and skin rash seems a viral infection, but if you can share a picture, I will reconfirm it.

Meanwhile, give these medications, syrup Cetrizine 2.5 ml once daily for three days, syrup Tempra (Paracetamol) 5 ml as and when she has a fever you can repeat it every four hours if needed.

|