Q. My 1-year-old baby has swelling behind her ear with fever. What is that?

Dr. Prakash Nagar

My baby has a bump behind her ear and head. I searched it online and found it as lymph node. I do not know what exactly it is but she is so irritated and she has a fever, I do not know what to do. Please help. She is only 1 year old and I am giving her Tempra.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

You are absolutely right, these are lymph nodes. Everyone has it but due to so many different reasons, they become a bit enlarged and can be felt. If they are not increasing in size, and not painful on touch along with a normal skin over it, then not to worry. It does not require any specific medication. In case any of the above-mentioned symptoms and signs are there, then it needs to be taken care of.

Presently what have explained regarding fever and skin rash seems a viral infection, but if you can share a picture, I will reconfirm it.

Meanwhile, give these medications, syrup Cetrizine 2.5 ml once daily for three days, syrup Tempra (Paracetamol) 5 ml as and when she has a fever you can repeat it every four hours if needed.

| 

Is my lymph node enlarged due to cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have left supraclavicular lymph node enlargement of around 1 cm in size over four months. I have body pain and occasional low back pain. I have pain in areas such as shoulder, right groin, hand under the elbow and sometimes feel difficulties in chest. Only one lymph node got enlarged. ...  Read Full »

Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hello doctor, Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?  Read Full »

Paracetamol in Pregnancies

Query: Hi doctor,My wife is suffering from severe cold, headache and throat pain. Can she take Paracetamol, antibiotics, and Cetirizine? We are planning for pregnancy, using medicine for it. This is her 12th day after the period.  Read Full »