Q. Why is my daughter having enlarged lymph nodes of size 4 mm in the groin and cervical region?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

My daughter has had two enlarged lymph nodes of size 4 mm for the past four weeks. One lymph node is present in the groin, and the other is beneath her ears. Should I be concerned?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your daughter has two enlarged lymph nodes that are 4 mm in size, one in her groin and another one under her ear.

The most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is a bacterial or viral infection. Swollen lymph node below the ear may result from an infection of that particular ear, common cold, eye infection, teeth infection, abscess, skin infection, infectious mononucleosis, mumps, dandruff, dermatitis, etc.,

Swollen lymph nodes in the groin are normal in young people. Still, they may also result from any local infections, sexually transmitted diseases, genital infections, or infections of the foot or toe.

Treatment depends on causes. Some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology), or biopsy from the lymph nodes are needed to find out the exact underlying etiology for swollen lymph nodes and treat them accordingly.

Take care.

|