Q. Should I undergo surgery for remission of lymphoma?

I am a 77-year-old woman. I had lymphoma last year, but was declared in remission this month. I have gained all my weight back and am feeling fine. My Oncologist sends me for PET scans every few months to make sure no cancer has returned. During last PET scan, they saw a shadow and recommended a colonoscopy. During this, they found a noncancerous fatty lipoma and three polyps.

The biopsy showed one near rectum was 10 mm polyp that was precancerous. Described as high grade glandular dysplasia arising from tubulovillous adenoma. Do you feel surgery is needed, or more frequent colonoscopy screening? What do you recommend our next step is? Thank you very much.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

As such immediate surgery is not indicated. Yearly colonoscopy and biopsy should be done. If stage of lesions seems to be changing then it should be removed. A few doctors treat this aggressively and remove it surgically at this stage only. This decision is based on your doctors personal experience and opinion. What is your doctor suggesting?

| 

Their instructions were not clear to us. They said I could have another colonoscopy in six months to a year, or have surgery now. So we wanted to get a second opinion.

#

Actually, the opinion given by them is almost the same as given by me. The reason behind this is that the answer is not definitive. What I do in such cases is keep a close follow up and get repeat colonoscopy done after one year. If I find change in the lesions, then I immediately take my patient for surgery.

| 

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full »

For a hemophiliac patient, it is necessary to receive coagulants for colonoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son was exposed to warfare chemical in the navy. During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder. He is suffering from hemophilia and is undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow. Should he receive coagulant for this procedure?  Read Full »

My son's doctor suspects lymphoma. Can it not be a simple infection?

Query: Hi doctor,My son had a full blood count as he experienced fever (38 degrees) for the past 10 days. The onset of fever is around 5 PM. I took him to the emergency department and they are questioning whether he may have lymphoma. His WBC was 16.65x10 e3/uL, LY% 5.6, BO% 26.8, NE 9.73. Can it not be a ...  Read Full »