Q. Should I worry about my child's enlarged tonsil?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 7-year-old daughter has had an enlarged tonsil for the past two years. She has symptoms like sore throat, cough at night, and nasal congestion. We consulted an ENT (ear, nose, throat) specialist, where the diagnosis was lymphoma, and had a review after three months. She was prescribed with tablet Singulair (Montelukast) and nasal steroid spray. After a month, the symptoms improved due to the medication. However, I am concerned about her. Please see attached pictures.

#

From the image attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), I would suggest you do the following;

1. CT (computed tomography) scan of the neck and chest to evaluate lymphoma or tonsil.

2. Start the child on syrup Augmentin DDS (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 8 ml twice a day for ten days and syrup Nutrolin B (multivitamins) 5 ml twice a day for five days, syrup Ibugesic plus (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) 7 ml twice a day for three days.

3. Avoid tablet Singulair and nasal steroids for now.

4. Check for lymph nodes in the armpit, behind the ear, and inguinal region (lower abdomen).

Management may change after the CT reports.

Thank you doctor for the reply.

Should I be concerned about her condition?

#

I understand your concern.

From the image attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), the tonsil is enlarged and deviated to one side. However, there are no pustules or inflammation. It indicates no infection, so there is less chance for lymphoma. However, CT scan investigations will confirm the diagnosis. For further lymphoma treatment, consult a pediatric oncologist. Earlier diagnosis of lymphoma and prompt treatment have a better outcome.

|