Q. Will dog food cause mad cow disease?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Sep 07, 2019

I am a 23-year-old male, 5.6 feet, 140 pounds. So about two months ago I had to feed some puppies. They did not want to eat from the plate so I fed them by hand, their dog food. I always was an anxious person so I eventually thought about it. Read the ingredients of the dog food and read meat flour. My mind went straight for mad cow disease risk. I thought I am sure these dog food have spinal itssue, brain, bone in the meat flour mix. Did my research and I am correct. Many dog food companies do that. So it is impossible to get rid of every trace of dog food from my clothes, keyboards, pockets, etc. I already did that but you know I was not aware of these for the time I was feeding them.

My question is, in the worst case how much time do I have before the symptoms start? First expousure might been two months or a month and a half ago. I am thinking of blowing my savings and traveling before the symtoms start and then after I confirm the disease, do not even know what to do.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and would explain that usually cows affected by this disease are isolated and their meat is not used in industry, but it is burnt under specialist supervision. Anyway, the period from the first contact with a mad cow product and the disease symptoms may be as long as 10 to 15 years. So just do not think about it. I am sure that nothing bad is going to happen.

|