Q. Is my hypothyroidism the reason for my low ferritin level and what can I do to increase it?

Dr. Thiyagarajan. T

I am 34-years-old woman with hypothyroidism, currently taking Euthyrox 100 mcg. I was found to have low levels of ferritin 30 ng/mL in a routine examination. So my doctor recommended a change in my diet and to make a treatment of iron hydroxide polymaltose. I did both, but my ferritin levels did not change, and all other iron-related tests are standard. I always feel tired. I have read that ferritin and hypothyroidism are related. Could it be the reason for my low ferritin? If so, what can I do to increase it? And is it dangerous?

Kindly help.

#

It is hard to say the reason for your low ferritin level.

Either you have low iron in the diet, had heavy menstrual bleeding for a while, or have a problem absorbing iron. You have normal iron and low ferritin, which is probably due to low iron stores but enough to have normal hemoglobin.

I recommend you continue to take an iron supplement for three months and repeat the test for ferritin level. It is not dangerous by now as your hemoglobin is normal. If it is still low, talk to your doctor and find out if you have any condition that makes it hard for your intestine or stomach to absorb iron.

If hypothyroidism is corrected and thyroid tests are in the range, that should not contribute to low ferritin directly.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks.

|