Q. My mother is suffering from malaria for a week. Please suggest.

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My mother is suffering from malaria for a week. Before five days, she got a positive result for malaria after having weakness, increased temperature, coughing, and loss of appetite. After taking tablet Metakelfin, her weakness and tiredness got increased. She was not able to eat and drink. Then she got admitted to the hospital. She got a Natrium hypochlorite infusion. After that, she felt better. Also, they were trying to do another test for malaria. But unfortunately, electricity turned down. Now, she is feeling worse. She has extreme weakness, tiredness, and not able to eat food properly. She takes some amount of water. Today, she vomited it too. She feels that the medicine helps a lot. She is advised to take another dose of Metakelfin next week. We are all concerned. Can I get a general advice? Is it good to give folic acid along with Leucovorin?

#

Plasmodium falciparum accounts for ninety-six percent of malaria. But plasmodium malariae and plasmodium ovale account for the remaining four percent. For Plasmodium falciparum, Metakelfin (Pyrimethamine with Sulfadoxine) of two tablets should be taken as a single dose. If the person continues to have it, then another two tablets are given in the next week for prophylaxis. I am not sure whether the treatment is right. Other drugs like Quinine and Artemisinin are given when there is resistance to the current drug. During the first rash or reduced blood count, the current drug combination should not be given. Please share the clinical reports to treat you better.

You have plasmodium falciparum and I need your test report to confirm it.

|