Q. Can fatty breast in male lead to breast cancer?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

I am having rough period. I am worried about my health and about breast cancer as I have fatty breast albeit, rare in men. Also, I had undergone ultrasound before seven months and everything was normal. Before a couple of days, some little red marks had appeared in my chest. When I press that I feel a tiny bump really close to the surface of the skin, but no pain at all. What is it? Please explain me.

#

• First, let me assure you, that the red bump is completely benign not to worry as it is out of the mammary tissue.
  • Now, let me enlighten you some facts about gynecomastia. It is the benign proliferation of the male glandular tissue in the breast.
  • Every enlargement of the breast is not true gynecomastia.
  • Enlargement of the breast due to accumulation of fatty tissue around the nipple - areola capsule or fatty breasts is known as lipomastia or pseudogynecomastia.
  • Pseudogynecomastia does not pose any increased risk of breast cancer.
  • No early signs to be worried for carcinogenic transformation of gynecomastia, like a hard lump near the nipple, fixed mass, nipple discharge and axillary lymph nodes.
  • If you have any of the above mentioned signs immediately go to a physician. You can try to lose weight and avoid drinking alcohol

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|