Q. Can fatty breast in male lead to breast cancer?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Jun 12, 2016

I am having rough period. I am worried about my health and about breast cancer as I have fatty breast albeit, rare in men. Also, I had undergone ultrasound before seven months and everything was normal. Before a couple of days, some little red marks had appeared in my chest. When I press that I feel a tiny bump really close to the surface of the skin, but no pain at all. What is it? Please explain me.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• First, let me assure you, that the red bump is completely benign not to worry as it is out of the mammary tissue.
  • Now, let me enlighten you some facts about gynecomastia. It is the benign proliferation of the male glandular tissue in the breast.
  • Every enlargement of the breast is not true gynecomastia.
  • Enlargement of the breast due to accumulation of fatty tissue around the nipple - areola capsule or fatty breasts is known as lipomastia or pseudogynecomastia.
  • Pseudogynecomastia does not pose any increased risk of breast cancer.
  • No early signs to be worried for carcinogenic transformation of gynecomastia, like a hard lump near the nipple, fixed mass, nipple discharge and axillary lymph nodes.
  • If you have any of the above mentioned signs immediately go to a physician. You can try to lose weight and avoid drinking alcohol

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Drug-Induced Gynecomastia - Diagnosis and Treatment

Article Overview: This article explains about the medications that cause gynecomastia, that is, the enlargement of the male breast. The article discusses the mechanism of its development, monitoring, and treatment. Read Article

Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the male breast. Drug-induced gynecomastia is common (1 to 2.5 %), especially with antipsychotics. Typically Phenothiazines and Butyrophenones cause gynecomastia. Sometimes, Risperidone also causes it. Mechanism of Action of Antipsychotics: Antipsychotics ac...  Read Article

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

For breast cancer, should we do chemo first or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has de...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now