Malignant Melanoma

Should I worry about my nevus spilus turning cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I have speckled lentiginous nevi, also known as nevus spilus. I have had it since I was a baby. I do not know if it is congenital. Ever since I read online that they can transform dangerous, I do not feel comfortable in my own skin. I know the nevus spilus is alright right now. Its ...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your descriptions and given image, it does seem you have nevus spilus. There is nothing to worry about. The nevus spilus is present in 3 % of fair-skinned people. ...  Read Full »

What are the different types of nevus spilus?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a birthmark and I am pretty sure it is a nevus spilus. I read that there are two types of nevus spilus, papular and macular. Can you see my picture to see which type it is? Also, do I have to worry about cancer risk? I cannot see a dermatologist and I do not want to get it remove...  Read Full »

Dr. Tahir Shehzad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A nevus spilus is also called 'speckled lentiginous nevus'. These are dark spots on a flat tan background. There are no different types of nevus spilus. Also, you do not have to worry about cancer risk as there is very little chance of a nevus spilus turning into a mal...  Read Full »

What is the cause of a white patch on my baby's scrotum?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is three months old and he recently got a white patch on his scrotum. Is it normal or do I have a reason to be worried?  Read Full »

Dr. Shilpa Reddy Diggireddy

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since the baby is three months, it could be a birthmark that has developed. Some birthmarks come early in life and some later on such as white spots, dark blackish spots, moles and so on. Another condition is called jock itch caused by infection due to tinea which i...  Read Full »

My friend and I have similar birthmarks. Is there a chance of them turning cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a facial birthmark. I searched it up and it seems like a nevus spilus/ speckled lentiginous nevus. I read that it can turn cancerous! My parents never told me this and when I told them they told me I was just being paranoid for nothing. My friend also has a birthmark that see...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate you deciding to go an extra mile in gathering information about your and your friend's problem. In answer to your problem, chances of it to turn malignant (cancerous) are remote but nevertheless cannot be ruled out. As such, birthmarks tend to be deepe...  Read Full »

Why is my mole proliferating even after excision?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question about a mole. I had a mole biopsied a few week back and the pathology report came back, as the pathologic process is that of a proliferation of nevomelanocytes within the epidermis and focally within the dermis. Cytologic atypia is present and manifests as large nuclei,...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Melanocytic nevi have aberrant course and continue to show junctional activity. These areas can have cytological atypia, and disorderly growth pattern of malignant melanoma develops in situ. Downward spread in dermis results in invasive melanoma. Also, junct...  Read Full »