Q. Can elastics correct tilted teeth?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I have been wearing braces for about three years now, and I am getting them off in a few months. I am wearing Class II elastics, but I found my lower teeth are tilted: the left is higher than the right. How can I use elastics to correct this?

#

Class II elastics are given mainly to correct the anteroposterior relations (meaning front back relations) mainly of molars and canines. Apart from these, they might also be used to settle the occlusion properly as desired.

Before proceeding to answer your specific question, I would like to know some details; is it every time you notice the slight shift in the height of lower teeth? Were they the same during pre-treatment and changed during treatment?

Yes, you can use elastics to correct them as elastics have both effects (front-back and up-down). So elastics will not only correct molar and canine relations but also the tilt of lower teeth. I would suggest you have two options to follow, firstly, using the Class II elastics with a modification. On the left side, where the height is more, use one elastic band per day, while on the other side, put two bands. If you are advised to put two bands regularly, follow the same advice on the left side but increase one more band on the right side. Secondly, using settling elastics after completion of Class II elastics course. Once the front-back relations are settled, you can ask your treating orthodontist to settle elastics. These elastics are similar to Class II elastics except for their use configuration. They are given from upper teeth to straight down lower teeth in various fashions such as M, W, triangular, etc. These need to be worn for two weeks and can be removed if correction is achieved. Else it is further extended based on the amount of correction pending. The doctor will teach you how to use them and also, lots of images are available on the internet for the same.

|