Q. What treatment will you suggest for recurring acne?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Feb 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having acne since a week. I used Clindamycin gel but it is not effective. I have attached my photos. My acne goes and comes. Also tell me which face wash, moisturizer and sunscreen to use? Kindly suggest treatment for my acne.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have reviewed the attached photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

I would recommend you to use Salicylic acid face wash twice daily and apply Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel twice daily on the affected areas. Along with this take a course of antibiotic tablet Azithromycin 500 mg daily before lunch or dinner for three consecutive days in a week for six weeks.

Use Face Guard sunscreen gel and silk moisturizing cream as sunscreen and moisturizer respectively.

Besides this keep your face dry, avoid applying oily cream or moisturizers and avoid oiling of scalp.

Use cosmetics labeled as noncomedogenic and reduce the intake of sugary foods.

Continue the above mentioned guidelines for six weeks.

Seborrhea or hormonal disturbance.

Acne vulgaris.

Revert back after six weeks to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Why I always get acne on my forehead? How to control acne after acne gets cleared?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Acne on forehead is because of increased sebum production on the forehead.

Intensity of sebum production varies from person to person at various sites like cheeks, forehead, chin, etc.

Acne on forehead is sometimes associated with dandruff. In that case use Ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly.

For maintenance of acne continue with Benzoyl peroxide gel once daily on the areas most affected and then gradually reduce to thrice weekly, twice weekly and once weekly.

Also continue with the face wash.

Even the Azithromycin tablet has to be used for a long time for clearance of acne. It varies from person to person but usually takes between 4-6 months.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Is my hair fall due to shampooing daily and dandruff?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a dandruff problem for very long. So, I started shampooing my hair every day. Even then skipping even a single day of shampooing leaves my hair full of dirt and makes it completely oily. And an itchy scalp is always there no matter what I do. I have started losing a lot of ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have told, you have a dandruff problem and oily scalp that is seborrheic dermatitis which can be mild or can be severe. And yes hair can fall due to dandruff problem. I will suggest a few things for this. For proper hair growth ensure proper diet with Vitamins...  Read Full

Please suggest a treatment for dandruff.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from dandruff for more than a year. I am a prefinal year student and my gender is female. Please suggest a solution for dandruff. Can I use One shot dandruff killer?  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dandruff is formed due to oily scalp. If you are using oil for hair, please avoid it. Dandruff cannot be cured permanently. It can only be controlled. For now, use Ketoconazole shampoo (Nizral shampoo twice weekly for three weeks and thereafter once it is controlled, us...  Read Full

I have oily dandruff and dry hairs with hair fall. How can I be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have oily dandruff and dry hairs and hair fall. So what should I do if I wash hairs every day so they will become more dry and thin too?  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many people with dandruff have oily skin and the latest research shows that the real culprit is probably a tiny fungus called Malassezia globosa that needs oil to grow. It only becomes a problem when the fungus grows too rapidly, and our natural renewa...  Read Full