Q. I had mutual masturbation. Do I need a PEP being a hepatitis C patient?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a 31-year-old male with a history of hepatitis C on Harvoni. I was with a lady doing mutual masturbation. I then placed my fingers on her tits and played with them. I then sucked her tits. I have traumatic oral lesions. My concerns that if she has HIV and then I got it to my fingers then to her tits and then to my mouth. That happened two hours ago. Do I need to get PEP?

Do you have a question on Masturbation or Hepatitis C?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

MBBS., DGO., PHD (HIV MEDICINE
HIV/AIDS Specialist

You had negligible to low-risk exposure in this scenario. Mutual masturbation and playing with tits involves no risk. I guess there was no discharge from tits. If there was no discharge, again this was a negligible risk. You had traumatic oral lesions, which was a source of risk to the other person.If you do not know her HIV status or if she is HIV infected, in both situations, your concern of HIV acquisition is unwarranted as HIV cannot be transmitted by touching.

Because of no to negligible risk, PEP is not warranted in this scenario. In case, the act was more than that you had described, or there was also fresh cuts or oozing wound on the tits, or you had sucked secretions from the breast, kindly revert. Take precautions in the future. I hope your query is answered, but if you still have any other question, please revert.

My concern was that the virus moved to the surface of the skin to my finger when I did the mutual masturbation, then when I touched her tits, it moved to the surface of the tits, then when I sucked her tits it moved to my mucous membrane.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

MBBS., DGO., PHD (HIV MEDICINE
HIV/AIDS Specialist

No, this is not the way of HIV transmission. Your HIV acquisition risk in this scenario is non-existent. Mutual masturbation is not considered as a significant risk for HIV transmission. Survival of HIV outside the body is minimal. Another good thing is our saliva also has antiviral factors which reduce oral communication. If your act is limited to what you have described, PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is not indicated. I hope your query is answered but if you still have more questions, do revert.

Also Read Answers From: Masturbation Hepatitis C

What does it mean if I tested positive for hepatitis C?
Query: Hello doctor,I am hepatitis C positive with IgM + IgG of 14.2. This test was conducted five years ago. What is the significance of this? I have full medical test including LFT from two months back including sonography where things were normal. Do I need to worry about this? Does it require a treatme...  Read Full »
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to get the hepatitis C quantitative assay (RNA level) done and need to get treatment depending upon that. There is no need to worry. Your other labs are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But please be under the strict follow-up of a nea...  Read Full »

Will Masturbation cause Premature Ejaculation
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old unmarried male. I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I am masturbation from 13 years od age using sex toys. I am not lasting more than two minutes. I am taking antidepressants and doing squeeze technique. But, it does not help me. Kindly suggest medicine for prema...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. First of all, I would like to tell you that masturbation is not the reason for the problem of premature ejaculation you are having. Masturbation is a safe habit, and most of the men masturbate. Diabetes increases the risk of premat...  Read Full »

Do you think I would have got hepatitis C or HIV?
Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned as I tried cocaine 10 days ago. I used a bank note to snort it but did not share the note with anyone. There was no visible blood, etc. on the note. I had a cut in one of my nostrils and had an open wound. I was feeling unwell before this, but then got flu and cold a day...  Read Full »
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection is spread through the exchange of body fluids. Dried blood stains cannot transmit the virus. Artificial things, such as notes in your case cannot help to serve as a focus of infection as the virus cannot survive. You can be ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now