Q. Will therapies help to overcome my masturbation and pornography addiction?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

I am suffering from an addiction to masturbation and pornography. I feel extremely depressed, and I want to live without these things, but I cannot do that. Whenever I try to get rid of it, my most extended period is two weeks, but when I was a teen, I had it a lot, then I stopped. Unfortunately, after several years the addiction came back. I am not this type of person, and please suggest if there is any medication that would decrease the urge or any medication to get rid of it. I am so tired and feel so down. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

Treatment of your problem will be done first with a trial of cognitive behavioral therapy by a clinical psychologist. If the trial of cognitive-behavioral therapy fails, only medications can be prescribed, and these medications can only be prescribed by a psychiatrist close to your home. Do not worry. Addictions and compulsive disorders are prevalent nowadays, take the first step and meet a clinical psychologist to resolve the problem soon.

Thanks for your reply. How can I start therapy? Can you tell me what to do? Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy is taught to you by a clinical psychologist who will assess you. It may require one to three sessions.

|