Q. My daughter has measles with swollen and dry throat with difficulty to eat and sleep. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My daughter is a 15-year-old girl and weighs approximately about 42 kg. She has measles for more than a week; now, she is only taking Dolan for fever. Now she's quite upset with her swollen throat, and she spits once with blood. She has a bad taste; that is why she seldom eats. Her throat is always dry, and she has difficulty in sleeping. She has high thigh aches and has swollen eyes too. Is there any medication you can recommend to take to heal her swollen throat? Please kindly advise. She has been hurting a lot now. Thank you so much.

#

Yes, some medicines will reduce the swelling and throat infection as well. If she spits out blood, there are possibilities of mouth ulcers. Can you please send me a picture of her mouth and the swollen part? Please take tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) 625 mg twice a day after meal for five days. Tablet Multivitamin 500 mg once a day after meal. Please send a picture so I can see and let you know further.

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot get a picture of the inside of the mouth. This is what I have got.

#

Take the treatment that I have prescribed, and there will be an improvement in her sore throat. If anything, please message me anytime.

Thank you so much for your reply.

We have finished the antibiotics now. But still, her throat aches, and has difficulty in eating due to the additional red spots on her face and her lips, too, which she complaints a lot. And the multivitamins, what particular brand will you recommend. I have not given her yet because she is under medication. Please advise what to apply on her lips to cure it and to lessen the pain. Her throat is not that painful now, but sometimes it is difficult to swallow. Please advise. Thank you so much.

#

You can buy any brand Multivitamin tablet 500 mg. It is the same everywhere.

And you will have to do a blood CBC (Complete blood count) test to check the severity of the infection. So please do that.

And give her more fluids, such as water and juices.

As I can see (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are dry lips, indicating dehydration.

• Which medicine did you give along with antibiotics?
  • Does she still have a fever?
  • Is there still any swelling in her mouth?

Please let me know so I can help further.

Thank you for your reply.

Today she has no fever, but on previous days I gave her Dolan even when she is taking antibiotics. She is in pain with her lips; that is why taking in more liquids now, and this morning when she drinks water, she throws them out right after. Can she take multivitamins even under medication? Can I take her out for CBC? Is her measles normal? It has been two weeks now, but still, the measles remains.

#

Actually, the duration is two to three weeks to subside, as just now she got spots it will take time. If you cannot get a blood test, it is fine. Give her Augmentin 650 mg three times a day for the next five days. And she can take a Multivitamin once a day in the evening with antibiotics no problem at all. Did she get the vaccines for measles? And hopefully, in a week, symptoms will decrease, and everything will be fine. If anything else, please let me know.

|