Scalp Psoriasis

Related Terms: Psoriasis, Hair Loss, Dandruff, Eczema, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Acne, Dry Skin

How to prevent hair loss due to scalp psoriasis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from scalp psoriasis. I have yellow flakes appearing predominantly on the frontal and middle portion of the scalp. After shampooing, it is accompanied by hair loss. What can I do to prevent flaking and to reduce my hair fall? I am using Ketocare shampoo with Topisol 6 % lo...  Read Full »
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you use Salytor shampoo (Coal tar with Salicylic acid) twice weekly and continue with Topisol 6 % lotion (Clobetasol with Salicylic acid). If it is associated with it...  Read Full »

I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I have severe dandruff, mild itching and hair fall. I consulted two doctors. First one said that it may by scalp psoriasis and the other told that it looks like some fungal infection....  Read Full »
Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the symptoms can be of both seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis. To differentiate, please answer the following. Do have a family history of psoriasis? Is there a history of exacerbation in winter or itching over the face and back? Please f...  Read Full »

I noticed an itchy, raised and hard lesion on my scalp. What is that?
Query: Hi doctor, I noticed a scalp lesion two months ago. It is a bit scaly if scratched, hard and raised. I would like to peel it off, but it is not getting removed. But, I did not notice any hair loss. Other than a little bit of itching of the scalp, there is no issue.  Read Full »
Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be scalp psoriasis or warts. Please send me a photo to diagnose the condition and suggest you treatment. Revert with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

Apart from getting injections, what treatments are available for seborrheic dermatitis?
Query: Hello doctor, Eight years ago, a car wreck shattered the windshield, and my head got injured with pieces of glass. They did not take the glass out, and I have also been dying my hair since I was 16. I developed fibromyalgia from the wreck, which is supposed to be relatively non-progressive, however ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis from your history would still be seborrheic dermatitis or sebopsoriasis or scalp psoriasis. This is more of a cyclical problem, it tends to curb down with 2 to 3 months of treatment, but recurring back with a change in season or lifestyle. However, it n...  Read Full »

Is my DHT level causing mild hair fall and flaky scalp?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. For the past three months, I have mild hair fall. I lose around 2 to 10 hair after every shower. I have never had hair fall in the past. I also did a background check with my family history; none had any baldness even in the 70s. I fear this would be the result of mas...  Read Full »
Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flaky scalp not responding to Noskurf (combination of Climbazole, Piroctone Olamine, Aminodermine, and almond oil) lotion may be scalp psoriasis and need steroid plus Salicylic acid 6 % combination lotion. The pain is due to hair root inflammation, which is commonly...  Read Full »

When I try to remove the flakes on my scalp, there is bleeding and crusting. Why?
Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from two major problems from the past three years.Acne and marks.Sticky oily dandruff.Scalp flakes do not get dislodged even after shampooing. I have to dig my comb into the scalp to remove the flakes which lead to bleeding in certain areas and forms crusts. I have opted ...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been following all the right advice. Continue the same for the face. As for the scalp, I think since it does not get resolved with antidandruff medication and there is crusting involved, my diagnosis would go in favor of scalp psoriasis. However, I cannot g...  Read Full »

Is there a permanent remedy to get rid of psoriasis?
Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know a few details of the tablets which I have been taking for my scalp psoriasis. Winolap 5mg once in a while when itching is too high (without doctor's prescription). Isotretinoin drugs/other drugs (with doctor's prescription). I have been taking these medicines on a...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Rathee
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Isotretinoin is a potentially dangerous drug and in many countries there are very strict guidelines over its use. It basically contains retinoids which in simple language is a derivative of vitamin A. It is primarily used to treat severe cystic acne and I fail to under...  Read Full »

Shall I go for PRP treatment to control hair fall?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from scalp psoriasis and male pattern baldness grade 3A. Can I go for PRP treatment for hair fall control? I am presently using Finasteride, multivitamin and Minscalp F 5% solution.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. Yes, you can go for PRP therapy (platelet-rich plasma). It is a good therapy for hair fall with excellent results. It basically activates platelet-derived growth factors, which are the key factors for hair growth. It is must to use Minoxidil 5% l...  Read Full »

General Management of Difficult Psoriasis
Article Overview: Here, I have discussed about the general management of difficult psoriasis and the prevention of its exacerbation.  Read Article »

Psoriasis is a chronic genetically influenced immunologically based inflammatory disease of skin and joints. A majority of patients can be managed with topical coal tar, Dithranol and corticosteroids. However, psoriasis has a tendency to recur and may become worse. Moderate to severe psoriasis defin ...  Read Article »

I have spots of white powder like substance on my head. What is it?
Query: Hi doctor, On my head some four to five spots of white powder like substance is forming. Initially I had it only on two spots but now it became five spots. If it is dandruff entire head part will occur but mine is different. I have lost some hairs on surrounding affected spots. Please tell me wha...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send the good quality photographs of the lesion and also please tell me if there is any burning or itching? Let me know if any other areas are affected like elbow and knee? Looking forward for your response in order to help you. Revert back with the ph...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Scalp Psoriasis? We have medical experts to help you right away.