Abnormal Heart Rate

Related Terms: ECG, Heart Rate, Anxiety, Holter Monitor, Tachycardia, Arrhythmias, Echocardiogram, Increased Heart Rate

What are the reasons for palpitations and dizziness?
Query: Hi doctor, Over a month ago, I had an episode where my heart started racing out. I got lightheaded and dizzy. I thought it as a heart attack. However, I went to my doctor and he listened to my heart beat, checked my pulse and my blood pressure. He said that everything was fine and I just had a panic...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are various reasons for having palpitations followed by dizziness. The most important one being an abnormal heart rate or rhythm which starts suddenly and terminates abruptly. This could be detected by different monitors that you can carry with you and these d...  Read Full »

Pantoprazole - Uses, Dosage and Side Effects
Article Overview: This article talks about the drug Pantoprazole commonly used in the treatment of ulcers, heartburn, and reflux.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S
Pharmacologist

Pantoprazole belongs to a group of drugs called proton-pump inhibitors (PPI), which prevent the secretion of stomach acid. They are used in the treatment of ulcers, heartburn, and reflux. By blocking the enzyme that produces acid, the acid production in the stomach is lowered, thus allowing the ulc ...  Read Article »

With anxiety alone, can my heart rate go too high I cannot calm it down?
Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from anxiety and my anxiety is always centered on my heart. With anxiety/panic alone, can my heart rate go too high that I cannot calm it down?  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anxiety can cause both normal increase in heart rate as well as abnormally fast rhythms (known as automatic tachycardia). While the normal increase (sinus tachycardia) can be dealt with by treating anxiety, the abnormal rhythms may require drugs/electrophysiological ...  Read Full »

Am I taking a risk of stroke by pushing myself beyond 130 bpm during exercise?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 76-year-old woman, weigh 121 lbs, BMI 20. The exam results from annual wellness check-up are as follows: Coronary calcium scan: LMA 0, LAD 185, LCX 1, RCA 90, Total: 276. Routine wellness EKG summary: aortic valve thickened and calcified. Normal mitral valve with mild mitral r...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, answering your queries, you should visit a cardiologist regularly and avoid strenuous activities in order to reduce the risk of acute coronary syndrome. Your echo has some abnormalities which are age-related and there is no evidence of CAD. However, calcium ...  Read Full »

What does an irregular heartbeat mean?
Query: Hello doctor, Just tonight I started having an irregular heartbeat. I have no other symptoms. I am not weak or dizzy or lightheaded. It has been going on and off for about five hours.  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Your symptoms are most likely due to heart arrhythmia most likely AFib (atrial fibrillation), the most common arrhythmia which causes palpitations and may be completely asymptomatic. The other possible causes include SVT (supraventricular tac...  Read Full »

I feel as if my heart is pounding irregularly. Can it be atrial fibrillation?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female. My blood pressure is low normal. I have never had any heart issues except palpitations when pregnant 10 years ago. They did a cardiac ultrasound at that time, which was normal. Just over a week ago, I started feeling, intermittently during the day, as if my ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your detailed narration and understand your concerns. The ECG (electrocardiogram) recordings are clearly suggestive of atrial fibrillation (AF) and there is no doubt about it. The P-wave is absent and the rhythm is irregular. Both are suggestive of...  Read Full »

Are my ECG reports normal?
Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my two ECG reports here. Are they normal? They were taken consecutively, 1 minute apart, the one with 106 heart rate was taken first and the second one with 93 heart rate was taken later). I see some broad peak in the second one. I am not sure if it is an error or somethi...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may rest assured as I have carefully reviewed your health query, including both the attachments with different heart rates (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The peak you are most concerned about is a simply nothing. It is an artifact and is a recording...  Read Full »

My resting heart rate is increased. Am I at the risk for a heart attack?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male, who is fit and active. I do not drink alcohol or take illegal drugs. I smoke about 15 cigarettes a day and drink some coffee and tea, about two or three cups a day. I do not like energy drinks, so I never take them. I am not on any medication. About three we...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main concern seems to be an increase in resting heart rate and the presence of heart murmurs. Tea, tobacco, and caffeine together increase the heart rate. The fact that your father suffered a heart attack seems to be troubling your mind, causing persiste...  Read Full »

I am experiencing heart flutters and skipped beats. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 160 lbs. I have been experiencing weird heart flutters and skipped beats. It mostly happens when I am at the gym lifting weight, and taking a deep breath in while doing so. I have always exercised without experiencing such feelin...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are probably having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), which are extra beats and most of the time are benign and not worrisome. The other possibility is atrial fibrillation, especially, if you have episodes of rapid heart beat. Usually, at this young age, i...  Read Full »

I am taking Atenolol from six years. But, now I feel dizzy when I take it. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been on Atenolol for the past six years. I was prescribed this for a high heart rate. It worked well the first five years. But, from the last year, it has ruined my life. I have no energy. I get light headed and dizzy. I am on 100 mg a day. I am not sure what to do.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is probably Atenolol-induced low heart rate and blood pressure. First, you need to get your blood pressure and pulse rate checked. You should buy an electronic BP apparatus which shows both blood pressure and pulse rate or else you could get it checked from a nearby...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Abnormal Heart Rate? We have medical experts to help you right away.