Abscessed Tooth

Related Terms: Root Canal Treatment, Tooth Abscess, Tooth Extraction, Amoxicillin, Antibiotics, Infected Tooth, Toothache

An untreated abscessed tooth has started draining from outside the mouth. What to do?
Query: Hello doctor,My partner had an abscessed tooth a while back that went untreated due to no insurance and not having the money for an office visit. The infection has somehow traveled to the outside of his mouth and has to be drained from the exterior on his jawline. No matter how many times it is drai...  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand what exactly is the situation. The drainage you are doing is the symptomatic treatment of an abscess and you are not treating the root cause which is an anaerobic bacterial infection. I suggest you take the following medi...  Read Full »

Can tooth abscess spread throughout the body?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old female. I have an abscess in my tooth for over a year now. I am getting it infected for the second time now. The previous infection was before six months. It is present at the bottom of one of my lower molars. It hurts me a lot. How long will it take to spread throughou...  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a less chance to have the infection spreading to the whole body. But, sometimes, it happens when the swelling gets increased and when the fever becomes uncontrollable for two to three days. There is a chance to have a cystic lesion due to the chronic infection....  Read Full »

I have an abscessed tooth with swollen face. Is it serious?
Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscessed tooth and have been on antibiotics for three days. I woke up this morning with an extremely swollen face, should I go to the ER?  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern about your toothache and facial swelling. You need IV (intravenous) route antibiotics like Ceftriaxone one gram after allergic test and for that, you must visit either a dentist or an emergency room. Af...  Read Full »

How to manage abscessed tooth?
Query: Hi doctor, I lost the canine tooth of upper jaw due to decay and there is only a root fragment. Within a short period of time, I developed an incredible painful abscess. I saw my dentist last week and he scheduled retained root extract. He also told me that there is no possible way to minimize the ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain could have been relieved instant if the dentist had given an anesthesia and opened the root of the canine tooth, followed by antibiotics. Hopefully, he would have prescribed strong painkiller along with Clindamycin. Usually, after root canal treatment the abscess...  Read Full »

How to manage an abscessed tooth?
Query: Hi doctor, I have an abscessed tooth. It has started to drain. What can I do now?  Read Full »
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An abscess is an infection of the tooth due to caries. If the abscess is draining into the tissues, then it creates a problem. If it is draining outside, then there is no issue. If you have a fever or a swelling in the neck then, you need to take drugs. I prescribe a ta...  Read Full »

What is the Treatment for Abscessed Tooth?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 46-year-old female. I have a problem with my tooth. There is an abscess and my dentist is always fully booked. Can you help me?  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. For an abscessed tooth, you have two options. One is endodontic treatment, and the other is the removal of the tooth involved in the abscess formation. Now, the treatment plan depends on the condition of the tooth crown. If ...  Read Full »

Can I die from a tooth infection?
Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscessed tooth. The tooth is almost gone. I will have to get surgically removed and do not have the money for it right now. I was wondering. Can I die from the infection? I have been on antibiotics from penicillin to amoxicillin to sulfur meth 800-160 mg. At about 1 AM, I...  Read Full »
Dr. Asma Parveen
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. After going through your complaint and looking at your X-ray, it sounds like a 'chronic periapical abscess' which is the presence of pus and infection in the affected tooth due to a cavity which is left untreated. You cannot die due to an acute...  Read Full »

Are these symptoms connected with Brainstem Lesions?
Query: Hi Doctor, Around eight months back, I had a strange numb feeling in my nose. I ignored it because I had three abscessed tooth on my left side and I thought the numbness was due to that. It gradually went away and I forgot about it. Last month, my daughter fell sick and I was going through some ex...  Read Full »
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understand your problems. All your symptoms can occur in brainstem lesions. Many lesions in the early stages may not be identified by routine MRI sequences. You have to do the following tests: MRI - Diffusion and ADC (apparent...  Read Full »

I am having severe toothache with swollen face even after taking antibiotic. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, My tooth started hurting about a month and a half ago, just one night of hurting badly. Then went away. About weeks later started hurting again but nothing too bad. I just dealt with it. Now, again I have severe pain. I went to ER, said it was abscessed tooth and gave me Amoxicillin. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern. I think you are having an acute periapical infection with involvement of buccal and mandibular space infection. If the swelling is increasing and there is burning pain you may need another antibiotic w...  Read Full »

I have read that tooth infection can spread to the brain. Is it true?
Query: Hi doctor, I have had some pain and sensitivity in the upper right back tooth for a while now. I am not sure when it started. I did not think much of it until a few days ago when my gums right around those teeth got very inflamed and tender. It looked like there were two black spots on the gums, whi...  Read Full »
Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. First of all, do not worry, as infections reaching brain from tooth infection is very rare, and you need not to worry about it at all. It can an infected lymph node. Consult your dentist and get evaluated. He can take an x-ray of your tooth. You ca...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Abscessed Tooth? We have medical experts to help you right away.