Agoraphobia

Related Terms: Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Fear Of Going Out, Panic Attack, Panic Disorder, Psychotherapy, Social Phobia, Antidepressants

Agoraphobia - Fear of Leaving Home
Article Overview: Agoraphobia is mistaken by many to be a fear of open spaces, but there is more to this condition. Read on to understand why it is more complex than we think.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S
Psychologist Counsellor

Agoraphobia is a progressive condition where a person initially fears a place where he or she previously had a panic attack. They then start to avoid other places which might be crowded, or where help might be unavailable when they have another attack. This includes potentially harmless places like ...  Read Article »

Having fear of going out to public places.Can you suggest any treatments?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old and my height and weight are 5'8" and 88 kg respectively. I have symptoms of agoraphobia from my childhood. I cannot go to public places like mall, theater or grocery store. I cannot even travel alone and every time I depend on someone. I feel sad every time with ...  Read Full »
Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it is definitely agoraphobia. Along with that you have developed some depressive symptoms also.  Read Full »

Have to interact with people but my fear remains an obstacle. Will you suggest any solution?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. I do not like being in public. I do not do anything fun. I have a thought that always people in my surroundings are looking at me. So I would rather be at home. I do not like using the phone. I am taking Klonopin 2 mg 3 times a day. But I am not taking it now as I am...  Read Full »
Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from panic attacks with agoraphobia (fear to go to public place). You are taking Benzodiazepine (Klonopin-Clonazepam) of very high dose. Continue it but should take it occasionally only, as high chance of dependence is there. You should start an antid...  Read Full »

Though my reports are fine, I still exhibit fear for so many things. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. My health is good since my childhood. I am a pure vegetarian. I do not smoke or drink alcohol. I have completed my PhD in plant biotechnology. My mother died when I was 10 due to heart problems. My father died a year back and he was healthy except minor hyperten...  Read Full »
Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your detailed history. Your primary complaints are of multiple phobias, including agoraphobia. It is quite evident from other details that you are physically healthy and the problems are of psychological origin. Now, coming to your medicine history...  Read Full »

Am I suffering from any neurological disorder?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I am suffering with the below symptoms which feels like a disorder. I have this disorder running in my family. A few of my paternal uncles also have them, but in a mild form. I had these symptoms since childhood, but it was very mild at that time. I had ignored th...  Read Full »
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understand your concerns. All the symptoms you have mentioned are consistent with agoraphobia with anxiety. This is very likely to be a structural problem in your brain. All you need is proper practice and you can be normal within ...  Read Full »

Do I need any other treatment apart from medicine to treat my anxiety?
Query: Hello doctor, I am eight months pregnant now and I am suffering from anxiety. I consulted a doctor and he gave me Etizola 0.5 g medicine and this helps to make me feel normal. But, now I feel I am emotionally mute. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. K V Anand

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anxiety disorders come under the category of mental disorders characterized by feelings of anxiety and fear, where anxiety is a worry about future events and fear is a reaction to current events. These feelings may cause physical symptoms such as a racing heart and s...  Read Full »

I experience episodes of anxiety every three years or so. Is it due to my medicines?
Query: Hello doctor,About every three years or so, I experience what I call an 'episode' where anxiety comes over me very quickly and I focus and worry about an issue that normally would not bother me. It takes over my mind so that it is all I can think about for weeks. This leads to instant insomnia and l...  Read Full »
Dr. K V Anand

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ciliniq.com. I can understand you well. But, I ask you not to worry as many of my patients who went through anxiety disorder have recovered completely thanks to psychotherapy. Anxiety disorders are a category of mental disorders characterized by feelings of anxiety and fear, whe...  Read Full »

My husband takes too many medications for his health conditions. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and panic disorder with agoraphobia and is on several medicines. He is taking Glimepiride, Furosemide, Metformin-Januvia, Amlodipine, Lisinopril, Memantine, Pramipexole, Trintellix, Protonix, HCTZ, Tamsulosin, Donepezil, Clonazepam, Xanax...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. I can understand you are worried about your husband's health and the medications he is taking. The medications he is taking are all for the different issues he has and is necessary for his health. Antidepressant and sedative medications he i...  Read Full »

I had a swelling in my chest, which moved to my abdomen, groin and ankle. What should I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48 year old male. Two months ago, I noticed what felt like a swelling in my chest. It impaired my breathing. It seemed like I could only inhale about half or less of my lung capacity. Over a week, the swelling moved into my abdomen. My stomach began to swell and look distended....  Read Full »
Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This sort of progression of swelling from the abdomen to the groin and then to the ankles is usually seen in liver diseases or due to a local abdomen pathology compressing the inferior vena cava. Sorry to tell you, but it is impossible to find out the exact cause witho...  Read Full »

Best Treatment for Panic Disorder
Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed a case of panic disorder treated with CBT. Cognitive behavior therapy is based on altering your negative thoughts, emotions, and behaviors to positive ones.  Read Article »
Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

What Is Panic Disorder? Panic disorder is a condition characterized by extreme anxiety attacks which mimic heart attack symptoms such as rapid heartbeat, palpitation, heavy breathing, sweating, choking, etc. But, this is not due to any medical problem. It is completely a psychological issue and can ...  Read Article »

Do you have a question on Agoraphobia? We have medical experts to help you right away.